Subscribe

Forum

Fine-Tune and Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile!

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Fine-Tune and Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile!

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Here's Part Two of the piece that I wrote about how to optimize your LinkedIn profile. Like resume or CV advice, everyone has a different opinion, but I don't think there will be too many naysayers to what is fairly practical advice about photos, headlines, summary statements and work history, etc. Each of these sections has some special tips to help you make sure you see it from the recruiter's viewpoint.

As an aside, there is an "association" that pitches entirely the opposite advice, which has led to hundreds and hundreds of LinkedIn profiles looking exactly the same, with corny messages like "Let's Connect!" and hobbies listed in the headline, and so on. You can spot those profiles a mile off, because they all look the same, and most recruiters don't even bother with them. The advice in this column will not create a cookie cutter profile; these suggestions will only optimize your impact with employers and headhunters.

http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/12/keys-powerful-linkedin-profile

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Fine-Tune and Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile!

Postby D.X. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:40 am

Hi Dave,

I'll disagree with you a bit regarding having summary statements etc.

I have 3 caveats to my disagreement - First, my title and function are well known
and established in my industry with a high level of harmonization across companies for my role. Second - recruiters know this and usually search for people by title and function first, Third, I'm experienced.

Also per my experiences - I have had recruiters find my profile on LinkedIn - with permanant job opportunity presented via a "cold call" LinkedIn Messaging approach - I've taken one of those jobs and about to sign on another - so my profile is working.

To me on LinkedIn, any summary sounds fluffy. I don't have one. My title and function through my career thus far have been clear by these 2 items. So my LinkedIn profile is really a list of my experiences via job titles with a tiny bit of insight into what I did for each role- mainly internal cross-functional teams I have lead or have been a member of or some responsibility I had - that's it.

There is the education part, I have Publications but I think I'll delete that - at my level of career who cares about pubs, and I have some interests and volunteer work more for showing I'm well rounded as a low priority line item. This works for me.

I DO agree with the skills - this is how the recruiters find me - I agree but some times I find them useless in terms of LinkedIn use for a match to a position. I am a premium subscriber so I see LinkedIn's bench mark of my profile vs other applicants (if there are over 10 applicants) often it's a joke. I maybe a 50 percent match per LinkedIn just because I may not have written a skill perfectly - I.e. Project Manager vs Project Management etc.

Any way I don't play too much with LinkedIn - I have the basics per my field and industry - I'm not a fan of summaries - my listed titles speak enough - if recruiters want to reach out - they do. Good to go.

Dx
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks DX. I'm disagreeing with you because people are lazy. Just like when you get a hard copy CV, you look at the top third and then barely skim the rest of the document. Same here -- the summary falls first, right under the headline. That's read, while everything else is skimmed. I think what might be the case is that you have enough hot stuff integrated into your work history that people are finding you. But in the case of our readership here, they'll need to summarize the details of their major skills because it's not going to be as visible in work history.

In my article, I have suggested that readers pump up their work history by showing their educational years in the work history area and giving more credence to the fact that they earned "marketable" experience during their education years. I truly believe that is the case. But if you only show it in education degrees, and in selected skills, it's not enough.

Thanks DX, Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Ralf K. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 am

Hi Dave and DX,

I have read your two tooling-up column and tried to apply them to my linkedin profile.
In two aspects it is not clear to me if this is a good move or not:

A) There is this box: "Career interests - connect with recruiters and relevant opportunities". Do you recommend that function?

B) Regarding the summary: I like the summary function alot - mainly to demonstrate in 4-5 sentences my unique skillset. On the other hand as you already wrote it is not the place to say what I WOULD like to do.

I am currently employed by a good company but can't stand my current line manager anymore and my current job is no exactly what I want to do. If I only state what I have to offer I am affraid the only (if at all) recruiter that will contact me will offer me position like the current one. Any advice on slightly changing career path (same industry but more business/marketing/consulting focus) and getting the attention from a recruiter? Use the summary or the career interest function?

Thank you very much
Ralf K.

Postby D.X. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 am

Hi Ralf K.!

Grüezi und ein glückliches und erfolgreiches neues Jahr!

From my view, never hurts on your Point 1 to click on that box. I think with that box recruiters have better insight to consider that you're open to discussion. I know some may be concerned that their current employer may see that but personally I don't think they care - today's world nobody is permanant.

On your Point 2, I agree on the Summary, I have something like that on my Executive Summary on the top of my hard-copy CV but not on my LinkedIn Profile. However a recommendation I could make to you, if you're looking to slightly Change your career path is to Highlight some of your experiences your aready have in your target areas. If say you're looking at Marketing, you can state something to the tune of "experience developing Marketing Brand Plans and developing product value-propositions levaraging customer insights, Business analytics and assessment of current and emerging clinical practices"

A bit Long and you can adapt to your Situation but at least someone is able to see you have some techincal skill sets that allow you to be a good marketeer.

And this links to your question about slight career change and what to emphasize. I would imagine you have worked within function and cross-functionally so you've probably touched on a few Areas of your targeted Areas of interests, just like when I was in Medical Affairs and worked cross-functionally with Marketing, I was able to emphasize my direct cross-functional work with Marketing to ultimately move into Marketing. Perhaps that can work for you.

Whether LinkedIn is the right Forum for a career shift is an open question - for me pursuit of lateral move or functional shift is more of a proactive Networking endeavor than a reactive one, I wouldn't wait for recruiters to find you. I think if you are reactive and wait, then to your Point you'll just get recruiters calling for the same Position, especially in our Country. Hell, even upward movement is a proactive endeavor.

Auf weidersehen!

Dx
D.X.

Postby Ralf K. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am

Thank you DX,

and also from my side: "Grüezi und e guets Neus"!

I think working with linkedin and knowing how to market oneself is important, thank for you these post - keep on doing them. Why I am saying that: "I have just heard yesterday from our HR that there are ideas to have linkedin-style profiles and a system inside of the organization. So that means having your elevator pitch ready and knowing how to use these tools and what to write there.

Have a good day.
Ralf K.

Postby D.X. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 am

Hi Ralf,

Ok yes, i've been in companies to include my current employer where is an internal "wanna-be" social media platform that allows each employee t have their own Profile page consitent with elemental feel of "LinkedIn" and sometimes "Facebook". One is Yammer and another is Jive.

Don't think too much about it - I've usually ignored These I don't have much time to Play "internal social media" bull-ka ka.

What it will look like is that not only will employees have Profile pages but so will Departments and various cross-functional Teams and idea is to have a landing page where you as an internal employee have have insight into what others are doing, identify Expertise etc. i.e. Support internal Networking and best practice sharing repository.

Its all well and nice and as a low adopter of Technology i've ignored These activities unless other wis told differently by line Management which for me, and luckily so have been low adopters as well and we do the Minimum - other departments, not so lucky as me. They gotta use the System and the more "likes" and "followers" you have the more "Points" you get and blah blah blah blah bull-ka ka again.

Your HR will say you should incorporate the use of such platform as a part of daily work or some fluffy Story like that. The reality is that we're all to busy doing real work to be bothering with that crapola.

Now funny to say, would you believe that I was among the first ambassadors for the platform and adovcated for it's existance as part of my Company's leadership academy Project? - before it was even launched? Go figure.

But I as I do have a negative bias, I do see the value if I had time - I do recommend you Play the game and get your all star Points woo hoo and be that shining light of an exemplary employee - shine bright like a diamond Ralf!

And if you do go to a Company where such platform doesn't exist, you too can be a HR all-star by recommending the Company invest in such platform.

Hope I gave you some laughs,

best,

DX
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Ralf K. wrote:Hi Dave and DX,

I have read your two tooling-up column and tried to apply them to my linkedin profile.
In two aspects it is not clear to me if this is a good move or not:

A) There is this box: "Career interests - connect with recruiters and relevant opportunities". Do you recommend that function?

B) Regarding the summary: I like the summary function alot - mainly to demonstrate in 4-5 sentences my unique skillset. On the other hand as you already wrote it is not the place to say what I WOULD like to do.

I am currently employed by a good company but can't stand my current line manager anymore and my current job is no exactly what I want to do. If I only state what I have to offer I am affraid the only (if at all) recruiter that will contact me will offer me position like the current one. Any advice on slightly changing career path (same industry but more business/marketing/consulting focus) and getting the attention from a recruiter? Use the summary or the career interest function?

Thank you very much

Hi Ralf,

I'm a bit late to the party here, because DX has already provided some excellent advice, but as I disagree a bit, I'll go forward,

I wouldn't touch that "Career Interests" box. You're employed. You have a job. Your goal on LinkedIn is to be seen as a completely passive job seeker and not someone who is "in the market." Did you know that recruiters DE-VALUE a person the moment they appear to be "looking"? Recruiters will talk to each other, and describe you like this . . . "This guy is interesting, but he's a looker." No, that doesn't mean you are good looking, that means that you're out reading ads and you have less value to that headhunter than someone who is buried in work and not sticking their head up to look at ads. It's the LATTER that recruiters want to find. They use LinkedIn to find their "passive" job seekers and not to identify more "lookers." Because all you have to do is put up a $50 ad on some website and you'll get FLOODED with resumes. You don't want more lookers. You want people for your clients who they are not going to find by a job ad on that company website. Therefore, do your Networking -- as DX recommended, and change your career direction that way. But on LinkedIn, be the best darn version of yourself as a happy employee that you can be.

The summary section is your fantastic resource to prove just that.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
Founder of ScienceCareers Forum
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Ralf K. » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 am

Hey both,

I like that there is a discussion - afterall I think as Scientists we have also been trained to look at things from different perspectives:).

I am currently testing the waters with Linkedin and found another question:

What about the Apply button on JobAdds on LinkedIn? What it asks when you click on apply is:
- A phone number
- A CV in electonic form (ex PDF)

Do you recommend using that function or is it something recruiters see as "the lazy guy who doesn't want to put time into his cover letter"? That means most of the elevator pitching happens in the summary?

Thanks for your views
Have a great friday
Ralf K.

Postby D.X. » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 am

Hi Ralf and Dave,

For Dave, I disagree that recruiters are really talking to each other - competition for candidates among recruiting agencies are high, at least in my market there is not really an social/off line engagment between recruiters. They may be Aware of each other by virtue of perhaps a share Prior employer but they're not trading notes - its a competitive market on the recruiter side. Regarding judging on passiveness of a candidate, that Comes more from the discussion you have with them rather than a browse on a Linkedin Profile. So hense why I say it does not harm to Keep the box checked. I do think the box may be useless actually.

For Ralf, the apply now button does not exclude you from writing a coverletter. Often you click on that and you're redirected to a Company Website for the application. The difference is that the Company Website is optimized so taht your linkedin Profile is shared with you application. For me it if you do it, the HR Person will see your Linkedin Profile, for me that Point your Profile can be used to Screen, instead of the submitted CV. I do think your CV will get screened if interested. The other side is the HR Person will get to "validate" you by having insights into your Network, which they'll do anyways if you do it without Linkedin apply now button, you're just saving them a step.

My only question is why would you do that? Since it the same as putting your CV into the blackhole - without any advocacy which a recruiter can give you?

Now I will say in our market, big company's such as our 2 big known friends in Basel will look at submitted CVs into their Portal and are quite responsive and have become Close minded to external recruters a bit (since they hired Prior recruiters to have their own "in house" recruiter or contracted a recruitment agency that have a Company email address) but there is ALWAYS an entry Point via an external recruiter which I still recommend. If i see a Job, my first call is to find a recruiter or the recruiter who has exclusivity to place a candidate for the Job or is on the preferred recruiter list for the Company with direct relationship to HR/ and or hiring Manager - later is rare with exception of those who have the exclusive mandate.

Again for our market - but PM me, i have a couple firms/folks i have used for our market who have credibility and Network within our small ecosystem.

Best,

DX
D.X.

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum