Subscribe

Forum

What does it mean?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

What does it mean?

Postby Andrey » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:18 pm

I have been invited to a big company to give a seminar. However, when I received the agenda I realized that I have four additional meetings with the company staff. What does it mean? Do thy want to hire me?
Andrey

What does it mean?

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:43 pm

Andrey, how were you approached by this company? Was it in the process of your job search, or via a networking campaign that you were working on? My guess is that this company has asked you in for an evaluation of how your work and you personally fit their company. Your work will be evaluated --to see if the science "fits" the company's interests. Then, you'll meet a few key managers to see if your interpersonal style fits their company culture.

This may be anything from an informational interview (they may want to see what your lab is up to and whether there could be any collaborations with you and your P.I.) to a formal job interview.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

What does it mean?

Postby Andrey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:01 am

Thanks a lot!
Andrey

What does it mean?

Postby Andy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Audrey,

These things can go either way. I spent some time at a large pharma and they often brought in academic speakers. Some of these people they ended up hiring later. Others never had any contact again. So it can really vary depending on what you\'re working on and their interest in it.

Andy

Andy

Return to Science Careers Forum