Subscribe

Forum

Bioengineering PhD & Clinical Research

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby MNess » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:26 pm

In a few months, I will be graduating with my MS in bioengineering. I've recently been struggling with the decision as to whether or not I should stay on for my PhD. My goal is to land a clinical research position within the medical device industry. I realize the MS vs. PhD debate is one that comes up quite a bit, but I am looking for input specifically pertaining to somebody with a bioengineering degree looking to become a clinical researcher in the medical device field. As the job market currently stands, would a PhD help or hinder my job prospects in this area? Any advice would be much appreciated.
MNess

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Hello MNess!

I'm in need of more information, and it may help you focus and get better posts from others with some advice.

How do you see an MS in Bioengineering fitting in with Clinical Research? BioEngineering is such a mystery degree -- you'll need to tell us more about the content of your studies. Most importantly, what EXACT kind of job in the big world of clinical research would you like to take a shot at?

Dave
“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby MNess » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:13 pm

The bioengineering program I'm in focuses a great deal on device design, covering topics such as cell/material interactions, polymers, histology, biomechanics, etc. I realize that the bioengineering field is very broad and perhaps not well-defined in some ways. Do you feel that a bioengineering degree may actually be looked down upon by some employers?

In terms of my clinical research goals, I'd very much like to eventually end up in a clinical research coordinator or director type of position for a device company. Essentially, I'd like to be able to apply my technical knowledge and my desire to conduct research, to a position that enables me to interact with people in a clinical setting.
MNess

Return to Science Careers Forum