Subscribe

Forum

Changing field of study

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Changing field of study

Postby Vlad Owaski » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:58 pm

I recently got a PhD in molecular biology and for last month or so have been doing
a "mini-postdoc" in a lab that uses mass spec-based proteomics (at an amateur level). Having learned more about proteomics and its tremendous potential, I am now seriously considering a career in this field. Although I do have a strong CV for a postdoc position in a molecular biology/genetics lab, I have no experience in mass spectrometry. It?s clear to me that in this situation the only way to get into a top proteomics lab would be an exceptional cover letter.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Vlad Owaski

Changing field of study

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:28 pm

Vlad,

Here's the best advice I can give:

http://www.stowers-institute.org/labs/WashburnLab.asp

This guy is a friend of mine. If you can fractionate cells and/or have some experience with yeast genetics and are a reasonably good scientist, then you'd probably be a good fit.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy

Changing field of study

Postby TF » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:46 am

I don't know how much help this would be, but I have always been told that a post doc is the time not only to publish and have extensive scientific freedom, but a time to try something totally different than what you did as a Ph.D student. It may not be as hard as you think to get the post-doc you are looking for. Why don't you just start emailing PI's who's lab you are interested in working in and see what they say.

FWIW, if I do an academic post-doc, it will be in an area completely different than I am currently working. I think it will make me far more well rounded and knowledgeable as a scientist than staying with something I already know.
TF

Changing field of study

Postby Andrey » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:28 am

If you get a fellowship it will not be a problem for you to switch the field of research. Of course, you cannot write a proposal on the topic you do not know. However, you can always get a project from your potential supervisor. For the foundation it is more important that the applicant has a strong record of publications and a good recommendation from the host Institution. There are many foundations that would encourage changing the subject of your research.
Andrey

Changing field of study

Postby David » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:00 pm

One fellowship that promotes switching fields is: Human Science Frontier Program

David
David

Return to Science Careers Forum