Subscribe

Forum

Tips for job search while being employed

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby David M » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I am employed as a research tech for about 2 years and I want to move on from there for better opportunties. I was wondering if people here could me some tips on job search while working full-time.

Specifically, I want to know about giving references (which I cant...from my current employer), attending interviews saying sick which will soon bring out the truth to employer, attending phone calls during work....etc etc.

Enough ranting, in short how people go about doing these things without giving a clue to the current boss.

Thanks....I hope I have not confused all.

David M
David M

Some suggestions...

Postby Fred » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:27 pm

First off, do not let you attitude turn south with your current employer.

Next, never look for work on you current bosses computers. They can and frequently do survey your web habits including emails. Do this work at home.

Try not to field phone calls on their phones for the same reasons as above. Also, it sends the wrong message about your efforts on theri projects. Use a cell phone and have a pre-arranged time for you to field the call. Then schedule your break/lunch to include that phone call.

With references, most employers will not expect references from your current employer's employee pool. With previous employers, most of those individuals are now expected not to use company letter-head for that document. It's more of a 'personal' reference now a days from previous co-workers or bosses that are used.

Lastly, attend any and all meetings that you can and promote your background to everyone you meet. Don't ask for jobs at first. Hopefully, they be impressed and need your skills and suggest for you to visit thier website. Then find a position on that site and call thay person back and ask how to best apply. This serves a very important function, most likely co-workers are in those settings too and management will catch wind that you are an effective self promoter. If they want to keep you, they'll start approaching you about more responsibilities.

When you are offered a job that you are willing to take, give your current employer a two weeks notice and act professional from that time forward. If they make you a counter-offer, it can not just be a matching offer if the real reasons why you are leaving, bad management, company going under, no belief in thier market goals, will most likely not change and you'll be in the same boat a year down the road. So, really think about what your options are that will allow you to grow your career.

Best of luck to you!!
FM
Fred

Postby Kevin Foley » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:29 am

Great advice from Fred. I have just a couple of things to add:

1) Don't use your sick time for job interviews, as that is not honest and will hurt your reputation with your current boss (who you might need in the future). Use your vacation time. Try to schedule interviews for Monday or Friday. How sneaky you need to be depends upon how worried you are about your boss finding out that you are looking.

2) Obviously, it is not a good idea to ask your current supervisor for a reference, even if you have a great relationship (and I?m not sure of the ethics, since a supervisor legally represents the company). However, it is much safer to get a reference from a current coworker, particularly someone in a position of responsibility. I just hired a research associate who used a reference from a Scientist who works closely with them. Obviously you need to have a very good relationship with this person, and they need to agree to kept the fact that you are looking confidential.

It always bothers hiring managers if you don't have a reference from a current/last employer (we have good imaginations!), but we do understand why this is necessary. However, if you can get one safely, it gives you a leg up. Alternatively, make sure that references from your previous position(s) are strong, and try to included at least 2 direct supervisors.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Foley

Postby David M » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks Fred and Kevin.

I particularly like the idea of scheduling interviews on Monday or Friday. But again, I am so worried that taking Mondays off regularly will create any problems.

Also, I will try to get some reference from my current workplace.

Thanks again for your suggestions...

Dsvid M
David M

Return to Science Careers Forum