Subscribe

Forum

The importance of other activities

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

The importance of other activities

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:04 pm

I have a couple of questions to you:

"1. What if someone does not have a personal pre-disposition to be a leader ? Should they end up their whole lives unemployed ?

2. If _everyone_ you hired are leaders by personality, whom are they going to lead ? "

1. No, but they won't be working for me. There is no Equal Opportunity Law where it comes to leadership ability or character. I have every right to discriminate on that basis. I'm sure there are others that select purely on intellect. If you do that, give me a call in a few years and let me know how it worked out. Personally, I have not had very good luck with the straight A student with no outside interests.

2. In a modern company where much of the work is done inside the matix organization of multifunctional project teams, employees have to demonstrate leadership at all levels. I have Chem IIs managing projects where the work spans divisions. Everyone needs to be able to do this.
Andrew

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum