Subscribe

Forum

How Ph.D. can get back to academia?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:52 pm

I am Ph.D., biochemistry, with a synthetic chemistry experience from Russia, who worked chemical engineering jobs in Canada and currently moved to NYC.

I love research and know how get funding, but I have done my Ph.D. 10 years ago. During last 7 years I was working in chemical engineering areas that are completely different from my thesis.

I want being back into my original field.

What should I do?

Thanks for any feedback.
Michael

Postby Emil Chuck » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:14 am

Do a postdoc. A short one. Know that your goal is to regain credibility in academia: that is... present and publish findings as well as network within the field as an academic colleague.

Consult your Ph.D. advisor of others whom he may know that can hire you as a postdoc.

I'm surprised that there aren't any ChemE firms in NYC or NJ that would not want to hire you for your experience... even in doing work that might be similar to your original field. Otherwise, in terms of biochemistry, you have plenty of options.
Emil Chuck

Postby Val » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:40 pm

Michael,

In another thread, Emil Thomas Chuck made a reference to an article about what PhDs need to succeed, http://chronicle.com/jobs/2003/09/2003090201c.htm

In a nutshell, besides excellent skills and publications, one needs to have a network of contacts who can hire you or can recommend you to those who hire.

You have an experience in different industry (Chem Eng) from a different country (Canada), so it is not surprising that you do not have contacts in your target industry. It is common for immigrants from Russia to have excellent skills but the total lack of contacts in the new country. You have a substantial experience (and therefore you are expected to require a high pay), so profs in academia will not want you for a postdoctoral position, and you apparently lack recognized experience and publications (that is, made recently and in a western country) which makes you ineligible for more more senior positions (e.g. ass.prof).

The abovementioned article mentions "flexibility" as a trait which a successful scientist has. One picks up a job with any "not prestigeous" employer and maybe not in you area of expertise, and builds up his career from that, all the time attempting to push in the direction of the topics he likes. Eventually one will have built a scientific reputation, and the scientific administrators in the other (desirable for the incumbent) areas will be more receptive for the incumbent to receive funding to work in this new area.

I myself got a PhD and never worked in that area of fundamental physcis. I saw opportunities in applied science (development of instrumentation and industrial research), and have been building my career in that. I consider that I am working in the area of my training (that is, physics). Am I sorry that I never worked in the area of my original training ? Yes. But I am more happy that I am doing a work in the new area and have a success at that. That's how western people define success. The trait of many immigrants from SU is that they were conditioned to work in the same narrow area for their whole life, and this is just impossible in the West.

Regards,
Val
Val

Return to Science Careers Forum