Subscribe

Forum

MBA after a PhD in organic chemistry?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: MBA after a PhD in organic chemistry?

Postby PG » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Doing a MBA on the Companys expense can indeed be a very good career move. my advice woudl be to discuss what the plan for you is once yuor training have been completed. Sure that plan can and will probably change but only the fact that there is a plan is a good thing.

I know of one recent US case in which a person was offered a MBA training, had time off to complete the training and once the training was completed there was no position available in the Company for a person with that expertise. From the information that I have it seems likely that this was the plan from the start ie the MBA offer was in reallity a buy out. This of course assumes that you hold a contract or position that somehow prevents the Company from just saying goodbye.
PG

Postby Walker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Based on your education/work history and stated goals, I would think that management consulting (McKinsey, BCG or Bain) could be an option for you. I was also interested in pivoting away from research and joined one of the MBBs. The work has been super interesting and I get contacted rather often by recruiters looking to fill management level positions in Pharma/Biotech.
For me, it has been easily as value adding as an MBA in terms of training and networking.
Walker

Postby D.X. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 am

Walker wrote:
For me, it has been easily as value adding as an MBA in terms of training and networking.

Hi Walker, in my opinion your experience is even MORE valuable than what one could possibly ever hope to acheive with a MBA (my partner use to be in management consultant). As i'm familiar with the grooming and performance expecations of the likes of those firms you mentioned, among others in the catagory, one comes out 2 or 3 years later much more developed, competent, and experienced than a newbie MBA with no experience. Not to mention a much more richer, valueable and sustainable network (professional friendhships). My wife after nearly 10 years of leaving management consultant in life science strategy to go in-house pharma is still in contact with her various firms' "alumni".

Best,

DX
D.X.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum