Subscribe

Forum

Return to Europe after US post doc

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Return to Europe after US post doc

Postby AVL » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi

I am trying to return back to Europe after a 5 year post doc in one of the IVY league Univ in the USA. The experience has been less than pleasent, I have aquired 2 co-first author publications and few editorials. I have considered sucking it up and staying longer within the group, just to improve my CV, but even though I can survive the constant degradation/visa threats from the PI, I dont think that any of my projects will bring in high impact publication within 2y. (Yes the PI has been reported to HR several times but it only gets worse).

I need to move out from the group and without my PI's knowledge. Previous post docs have experienced bad reference letters from the PI which made their move impossible within academia, many quit and went to BCG or other alternative careers. I have contacted my PhD supervisor (Oxford UK) and he is happy to provide me ref letters. Im trying to return back to my homecountry Sweden where I dont have any network since my PhD was in the UK. To apply to any of the start up grants, a home institution or mentor is required.

Do you have any advice on how I approach this? I am now trying to identify Professors that are in my field but not active collaborators of my PI, to email them to ask for support.

Grateful for advice.
AVL

Re: Return to Europe after US post doc

Postby Vinze » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Just to clarify: are you trying to go back to Sweden to work in academia or industry?
Vinze

Postby AVL » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Vinze wrote:Just to clarify: are you trying to go back to Sweden to work in academia or industry?

primarily Academia but I am reaching a point where I am applying for all scientist positions within industry as well.... while trying to find a mentor to support my application as a host so I can apply for ERC start up grants or Marie Curie. I have already written 2 grants that I want to submit but I cant since I dont have a EU host inst.

Thanks
AVL
AVL

Postby Vinze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:03 am

AVL wrote:
Vinze wrote:Just to clarify: are you trying to go back to Sweden to work in academia or industry?

primarily Academia but I am reaching a point where I am applying for all scientist positions within industry as well.... while trying to find a mentor to support my application as a host so I can apply for ERC start up grants or Marie Curie. I have already written 2 grants that I want to submit but I cant since I dont have a EU host inst.

Thanks
AVL

I suppose an industry position may require you to provide a reference letter from your current supervisor. What about continuing with another short postdoc back in Europe (not necessarily in Sweden) as an intermediate experience. Your former PI in Oxford might help you here and being in Europe, you would be in a better position to apply to positions in Sweden (?)

Not sure what the solution is here. Job hunting can be tough.
Vinze

Postby PG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 am

The job market in parts of Europe including Sweden is hot at the moment so I would expect it to be possible to find a position. However you will need to get a few basics in order to make it happen.

1) You need to decide what you want to do. Everyone wants to hire somebody that wants to work with them. This is true both for academia and industry. From your posts it seems clear that you view industry as something that you may be forced to accept and that mindset will not be helpful if you want to get an industry position.

2) Once you know what you want to do you need to put your story together ie how does your experience and accomplishements add value to a potential PI/Company. Depending on your skillset your publication record may be more or less important.

3) Housing. Finding a place to live in one of the University cities and especially in the bigger cities is sometimes more difficult than finding a job. This can of course be helped either by having lots of money or good connections. Since housing is a challenge, not having housing arranged will be viewed as a negative in a hiring process.

4) Network. You dont need a network in Sweden. Research is a global activity and if you come with recommendations from a professor in the UK that person probably knows several PIs in Sweden. These people in turn knows a lot more people in Sweden etc.

Having said this now is probably as good time as any of making the move back to Sweden. As I mentioned the job market is relatively hot at the moment and that may not last if you decide to try to spend another couple of years in your current group. Most people on this forum will also tell you that spending more than 5 years in postdoc positions isnt a good thing.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum