Subscribe

Forum

Phone Interview Industry position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Sandra » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:07 pm

First of all I would like to thank all of you participating on this forum. Sometimes you might not agree with what people are saying but in many cases it is really good to hear different objectives. Specially if you are not fortunate enough to be working for a nice PI that takes his/her job seriously and actually cares about you career.
So after posting my first message I received some good tips and I changed drastically my resume and finally my first phone interviews for industry positions are on the calender! But how do you prepare for something like that?? Has anyone gone through this process before. It\'s just that you have a very limited amount of time and I want to keep them interested. Jobhunting is really a science by itself!
Thanks,
Sandra
Sandra

Postby Emil Chuck » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:11 pm

First, congratulations to you on your interviews.

How do you prepare for a phone interview? My opinion: just about the same as preparing for a regular interview except you don't have to dress up for it. :) Read up a lot on the company, its mission and vision statements, the type of job you want, and what two or three professional concerns you want addressed.

The only other suggestion I have: as much as you possibly can, smile during the interview. Look at yourself in the mirror while you're on the phone if possible, but don't forget to smile and connect with yourself in the mirror. It sounds really trite... maybe even a bit stupid... but you want to come out sounding excited and engaged in your conversation, and that will keep your interviewer interested in you.

More suggestions I hope will follow.
Emil Chuck

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi Sandra, I'm really happy to hear you are getting value out of the site.

I think Emil's suggestions are great. When you get a phone interview out of the blue, make sure that you have the courage to ask them if you can call them back when you get situated. Sometimes they'll call while you are in the shower, or when you are at the dinner table. And it is definitely better to approach it when you are prepared. Never "wing" a phone interview when it comes at an odd time.

To prepare, get yourself informed (as Emil suggested) and then have paper and pen ready, as well as a list of questions that you want to ask about the company or job. Use those questions whenever "dead air" comes up in the interview.

Don't forget to have a brief "tell me about yourself" answer handy, so that you can succinctly get the ball rolling with a 3-5 minute description of what you do, what you are good at, etc. Never be afraid to close a phone interview with an eager "I'm interested!" (if you are) and ALWAYS ask the interviewer what the next step in the process is, and where you stand. "Are there any concerns you have about my background that I didn't address clearly enough?" etc.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum