Subscribe

Forum

Is there any vacational work or summer placement offer?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Helen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:35 pm

I am an undergraduate 2nd year.Is there any vacational work or summer placement offer to undergraduates in UK and USA?
Helen

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Check with Big Pharma and do it soon! Their summer intern positions get filled now.
Jim

Postby Kim » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:16 pm

Yes, there are. Amgen and Genentech and ALZA in the Bay area have summer internship programs for undergraduates. They are very competitive to get. And they usually go to local students.

However, I am assuming that you are a UK citizen and currently studying in Liverpool University. It would probabaly be impossible for you to get the internship in the US. You need to be a US citizen or has a valid US student visa to be in the internship program. If you are not officially enrolled in a US school, you will not get a US student visa.
Kim

Postby Kim » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:36 pm

By the way, if you want to do intership in the US in the summer without US citizenship or US student visa, maybe you should consider doing research in academics. They operate under different rules from industry. And most likely, you will probably do it for free without any compensation in academics.
Kim

Postby Doug » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:09 am

You might also want to look for academics who have REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) funding. These tend to be very fruitful.
Doug

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi Helen,

Actually, there are a number of schemes for undergrads to gain experience in research during the summer vacations.

In the UK, the Nuffield Foundation are a good resource since they provide funds for you to work in someones lab. Unfortunately, you are too late for this years applications.
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/go/grants/sciurb/page_93.html

Each university usually has some limited funds and opportunities available and it would be worth you searching your institutes webpages or talking to an advisor or someone who's work you are interested in.

As far as working in the USA, for a non-resident of the US, it is difficult. You would need a work visa in order for anyone to pay you and these are increasingly hard to come by.
You can find more info at:
http://exchanges.state.gov/education/jexchanges/about.htm

Its not impossible though. If your advisor has collaborators in the US, there may be some way to work things out for you. Ask!

Industrial companies do, usually, take on some undergraduate employees over the summer but you need to get moving. It might be worth you to specifically target some of the smaller, less well known companies out there. I worked at a small pharmaceutical company for three consecutive years a LONG time ago but it was instrumental in getting me where I am now, since the experiences I got were above and beyond what I thought I would get.

Good luck!!

Paul
Paul

Return to Science Careers Forum