Subscribe

Forum

Being stuck in a certain specialty

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

By All means Bash Plant Biology

Postby John_Mastro@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:42 am

From my personal experience, the choise of Plant biology as a field of study should be bashed. I have a Phd in Plant Biology and my career crashed and burned, due to my own failures, but also due largely to the lack of job prospects. I can also state from personal experience of applying to biotech jobs in the Maryland and Boston area that that background was not attractive to biotech companies. I also agree that that is is probably good training not recognised as such by industry types. So D. Jensen should not be ashamed for bashing plant biology, because it is a public service in my opinion to warn people about the pitfalls of certain field of study choices. Plant biology is a fascinating field but one glutted by permanent job seekers at the bottom of the academic pyramid scheme. Unfortunately pigeonholing by hiring managers happens, to the detriment of the job candidates and the companies. I congradulate the original poster on being able to make the switch from plant biology to cancer research , where in a general sense I think there are more opportunities for jobs, funding and sucess.
John_Mastro@hotmail.com

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum