Subscribe

Forum

Is it street smarts VS university/college degree

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby melini » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:30 am

I think there is something really wrong with todays job world. Alot of people these days have years and years of qualifications with many degrees and yet they haven't settled where they want to. I know its a tough road for everyone and sometimes we need to play by our own rules. I think we need more control.. You see in Ads finish that degree less than a year and why spend 3-4 years or more in a university. Most people have probably seen Apprentice. WE see now why so the group with only a highschool diploma is winning. There seems to be a big gap between them two groups. Really some people with many degrees are able to think so intensely that they go so in depth they tend to forget the importance ,while rather those who have lived most of there life involved with the real world and has got the taste of that is able to better approach a situation in such a simple way/view. While there are those who think far too intense that they forget the whole purpose. Sometimes in life we got to quit over analyzing such simple things or tasks. Its great to have both that extra knowlege from university and a little more street smarts. I hear that many students first struggle with their transition from high school to University/college and soon after its another new world. sometimes you plan to follow a certain direction but yet you end up in another. It may be for good or not. But we have to look at it another way and turn our wheels one more time. We have more control over ourselves but yet some people say its not that way. A bumby road is a good thing. A resume may have all those degrees and education qualication listed in simple point form but really its up to us to prove to them that we have the skills and innovation to build on them. Some may have years and years of non stop education and all will be put to use and never think that all that money has been wasted and yet i haven't found that one. It takes long commitment and dedication, especially when you are looking for science careers,. The business world may be ready for you although
melini

Postby Kim » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 am

What is your point? I do not get your post.

First, you need to realize that nothing about the reality show of Apprentice is REAL! Apprentice is not real. It is just a TV show for its entertainment (and maybe educational?) values. And the people on the show are selected for the theatrical effects. I bet that the ultimate winner in the show will be a college grad.

A person without a college degree may be successful in running a small sandwich shop or selling real estate properties. But to run a big corporation, you absolutely need a degree from a top school!
Kim

Postby Kevin Foley » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:48 am

Kim: "A person without a college degree may be successful in running a small sandwich shop or selling real estate properties. But to run a big corporation, you absolutely need a degree from a top school!"

I agree that the Apprentice doesn't have much to do with reality. But don't forget that Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple) and Michael Dell (Dell) are all college dropouts.

I recently had the chance to meet a legendary Wall Streeter who is on the Fortune 400, and guess what? Like Gates, another Harvard dropout!

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Foley

Statistics about Drop Outs?

Postby Harald » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:44 am

It is true that Bill Gates dropped out of college and founded a successful company. However, I wonder how many people who drop out of university found companies who get as big and successful as Bill Gate's one. How many drop outs make a career as employees? What is the relation to entrepreneurs and managers who did graduate from university?

During the IT boom some students quit university and started to work as programmers. Now the same people struggle to get a job, even if they are very goog in their field. At least this is the situation in my country (other than US). Getting a university degree requires self assessment and determination. These habits are useful for career.
Harald

Postby shawn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:15 am

I agree that the Apprentice doesn't have much to do with reality. But don't forget that Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple) and Michael Dell (Dell) are all college dropouts.

These are all pretty bad examples as they were in college (top colleges and dropped out I would hardy consider them street smart.

Dave Thomas on the other hand (founder and president /ceo of wendy's {now deceased}) didn't finish his highschool degree until he was in his 70's. That's street smart. Many people can be successful without the degree but on average the degreed personel are going to do much better.
shawn

Postby Emil Chuck » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:33 am

The greatest thing about American society is that it's not hierarchical or a class-based system. One can go from pauper to millionaire as easily as going from millionaire to pauper. You can have a high school degree or drop out from undergraduate and still be filthy rich. All it takes is a key skill, demand, a marketing plan (not to mention probably a load of other things like persistence, patience, and strokes of luck).

But I agree, not everyone with a high school degree will make it rich like that. A survey of the workforce shows consistently that people with college degrees as a whole earn much more than people with high school diplomas.

It's the difference between application and theory, experience and credentials. For many employers, the credentials make it easy to know that you as a candidate have the theoretical understanding of how things work, but you need the experience to show that you can function in that environment. As time rolls on, experience is probably more important than your degrees: it's what you've done with your education, not that you are educated.

Theoretical and pure science and mathematics however are different environments. The public does not really consume those products unless there is direct application to their homes and families. Yeah, it's cool to see pictures from Mars, but you won't get rich studying the stars, the fish, or genes unless you find a commercial application that everyone wants. That's the worry about the pet-cloning movement (currently cats, the holy grail being dogs): it's a demand that some savvy scientists see as an opportunity to make some money and advance science. But you would need an advanced college degree or someone who has one to be part of this lucrative market.
Emil Chuck

Postby John Fetzer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 am

There was an initial fallacy in this thread. If you go into science to become a successful CEO, which is the goal set in the original post, then a degree is not needed. The vast majority of higher management in companies in the biotech, pharma, and chemical industries do, though. IT has several example of people who did not get a degree, but most did.

In science careers, however, it is the rare person who succeeds with only an undergrad degree. No Nobelist, or winners of other prestigious awards have not had an advanced degree.

John
John Fetzer

Postby Kim » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:43 am

"In science careers, however, it is the rare person who succeeds with only an undergrad degree. No Nobelist, or winners of other prestigious awards have not had an advanced degree."

Well, there are always exceptions. Foley has pointed this out.

The Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry in 2002, Koichi Tanaka of Japan, only has BS. He never went to graduate school. And he is among the youngest persons ever in Nobel history. He won Nobel prize when he was only 42 years old.
Kim

Return to Science Careers Forum