Subscribe

Forum

Applying w/a company that turned me down.

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby James » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:37 pm

Dear Dave,

I had applied for a licensing position with a mid-sized pharma. company in the summer of 2003. I made it to the final two candidates. I came in under a recruiter. The pharma. said that they like me but that I was soft in in-licensing. At the time, I had only done out-licensing. Since then I have obtained over a year of in-licensing experience at a Big Pharma.

The company that I turned me down in 2003 is now advertising for a licensing position. The job description is the same as in 2003. I would like to apply for this job.

Is there anything wrong with applying for this position? Also, I was wondering if I should let the VP that I interviewed with know that I had applied? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James
James

Postby A. Sam » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:19 pm

That reminds me to tack on a follow-up question to Dave (or whomever). I wouldn't be surprised if the position James applied for is the exact same job that's now open again because the person they hired instead of him didn't last very long. I'll bet it happens quite a bit where a new hire will last less than a year. Dave (or whomever), would you agree that it's rare for a hiring manager to call back the second and third best candidates a year later and ask them to consider the job again? If so, why? Are they embarrassed that they'll look like a lame recruiter and a lame boss? So much so that they'd rather start over with a fresh stack of resumes? If they assume that the alternate candidates would no longer be recruitable, that's probably a faulty assumption....
A. Sam

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:34 pm

James, there is no problem applying again to the same company, for a similar job. But keep in mind that you are just one piece of paper in a big pile of them, and it isn't until you escape that rut and go for direct contact with people that you stand a better chance of landing it. Going through the recruiter was not a problem if that person was a contracted source. (If that recruiter was just some sleazy resume-mailer operation, that's a different story . . . ).

For Sam, YES I AGREE. It is crazy for companies to start fresh with a new stack of candidates when someone leaves early like that. But 80-90% of the time, this is what they do. It is easier to just give the whole project back to the HR department, and let them do their thing. Smart managers -- people like Andrew or Kevin on this forum -- keep a file full of those applicants at their OWN desk, and when this happens they dip back into that same prospect pool to talk to other candidates whom they liked initially. But people like this are truly in the minority.

Dave
“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Emil Chuck » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:45 pm

It is possible that more than just one person works with that job title in that company. Your additional year experience should help your current application over your former one, so in this case, I'd say apply again with a newly updated application.

Now, I don't know whether one should note in the cover letter that you had previously applied and interviewed for a similar position (include the name of the interviewer), but I'd do it. I'd also send the packet directly to the person/VP who interviewed you, with a promise to contact him within a week to discuss the vacancy. Basically do whatever it takes to remind them that you were a strong candidate and that you are still very interested in working for that firm.
Emil Chuck

Return to Science Careers Forum