Subscribe

Forum

no experience

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

what is "master level" job?

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:11 pm

Hi David,

MS or "Masters level" jobs are across the board in most disciplines and areas of a company. Unfortunately for the MS graduate, they are often lumped together with BS jobs. So, for the HR person, these jobs might be thought of as "BS/MS level positions." The MS person who takes a job working with BS people will generally break out of that job faster and have more promotional opportunities.

These jobs are not for PhD's to apply to, however. The term "overqualified" will be heard repeatedly.

Companies look for the same kinds of things that they do for everyone they hire. They want a strong science base, an eager interest in the company, past examples of productivity and/or great references, etc.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

what is "master level" job?

Postby Frank G. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:19 pm

One of my friends applied to jobs advertised for "MS with 3-5 years experience" as a freshly minted PhD and she actually got an industry job that way. She ended up being hired as a postdoc. It may be that her experience was atypical because this particular R&D group was rapidly expanding and looking for people with her background, but still, it worked out very well for her.
Frank G.

blurring of MS/PhD level jobs

Postby Doug » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:30 pm

I'm not making a blanket statement by any means, but I've seen many positions recently that are "PhD preferred." These are generally non-research jobs either in or out of academia, such as administrative support. Given the current job market, even these are quite competitive, and the candidates are representative of those (myself included) who are turned off by the hypercompetitive nature of and unrealistic demands seen nowadays in tenure-track positions.
Doug

Overqualified?

Postby Nakajima, Dr. Eng. » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:18 pm

A PhD holder who is unemployed for more than one year will happily take a job at Master's level and work productively, especially if this job is somehow related to his or her research area. There more opportunities to do creative work and to develop new ideas when working at Master or even Bachelor leven than when being unemployed or working at the cashier of a fast food restaurant.

I hope to get a position in the R&D department of a company or at a research institute, but all companies and research institutes that are in my country related to my field have rejected my application so far. I want to get a well paid job I can use my skills at. I don't care wether it is advertised as a postdoc or not.

A lot of CEOs and Vice Presidents hold a PhD degree. But they certainly didn't get into their positions by tenure track.
Nakajima, Dr. Eng.

Overqualified?

Postby Bill L. » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:30 pm

Dr. Nakajima,

I can see why PhD candidates wanting to break into industry would apply for MS level positions. However, I think employers would be concerned that if they hired a PhD level scientist for a MS position, and PhD position opened up a few months down the road, they'd lose their new staff hire. Considering the investment in training they put into a new hire, that might not be an attractive option for them.

Bill L. & Naledi S.
Bill L.

Overqualified?

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:47 pm

Anyone who has a PhD and is applying to BS or MS level jobs is just plain wasting their time and resources. It won't happen. Period. Bad hiring decision for companies, and they don't like to make those kinds of expensive mistakes,

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum