Subscribe

Forum

Educational Development

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Educational Development

Postby Dale » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:08 pm

I'm wondering what thoughts are out there pertaining to the diversity of one's educational development. I have an undergraduate degree from a large state university, an M.S. degree from the same school, and will soon be starting a Ph.D. program under the same advisor.

I certainly enjoy the university - I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I am, however, concerned that I am being complacent by not changing venues for my doctoral work. Most other cv's I have seen list more than one university for an individual's education. Will BS-University ABC, MS-University ABC, PhD-University ABC serve as an eyesore on my cv? Curious to hear opinions on this - thx.
Dale

Educational Development

Postby John Fetzer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:15 am

It might. You need to answer two main points in your cover letters and resume/CV that you send out and later in phone calls and interviews.

First, are you adaptable or is your comfort with sameness a limitation that reflects on areas such as the ability to change, tranferring within an organization, etc?

Second, is your success so far based on a narrow range of opinions that may not be accurately assessing your talents and skills?

Those are the assumptions that will raise doubts about you. A diverse background does not draw attention to those aspects, even though another person of diverse education might be weaker than you in these areas.

John
John Fetzer

Educational Development

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:27 pm

I do not know how your cv will look to others (i.e., hiring committees), but I do think that it is better to earn one's degrees at different institutions. If I had stayed at my undergraduate institution for my graduate work, I would have a narrow view of the way in which science is done. Not bad, mind you, just limited. Experience at different schools also gives you a better sense of what types of phenomena are specific to one insitution and what types of phenomena are universal to academia.

Staying at your undergraduate institution for all of your degrees would be like living in the same town for your entire life. It may not be bad, but it gives you a limited perspective on the world.

Good luck,
Keith
Keith

Return to Science Careers Forum