Which grants for Res Assoc?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Which grants for Res Assoc?

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:24 pm

I have recently been "promoted" from post-doc to Research Associate, and will be starting a job search for my first faculty position soon. I have developed my own project during my post-doc and have no problems taking the project with me. I am ready to start writing grants, but I'm having trouble figuring out which types of NIH or NSF grants I can submit while in a Research Associate position. I need something portable, not linked to my mentor, and requiring little to no institutional support. Any ideas?

Which grants for Res Assoc?

Postby Emil Chuck » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:27 pm

Usually the title of Research Associate means you're still a postdoc, but you are on your PI's grant rather than on an independent grant.

There are enough people who could correct me if I'm wrong: I don't think that you can apply for the usual standard NIH R0* grants, though the new rules on co-PI's have the potential to change that. It is possible that you could apply for K* awards, but you need to check out the details for the specific institute through which you will apply.
Emil Chuck
Posts: 2981
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Which grants for Res Assoc?

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:08 pm

K22, if your institute has one. This is an transitional award given someone while a postdoc, ResAss, or instructor, but you don't actually get the money. You get the commitment of the institute to give you the money, once you find a faculty position. The idea is to give you a grant, and then you go apply for jobs with money in hand, which will make you very attractive to search committees because it shows that you're already successful at getting a grant. It gets reviewed in study section and you get a priority score (that you can list on your CV for job apps if it's really good), and comments from 3 reviewers, just like in an RO1. You don't get the money until (and unless) you're faculty, so it's not tied to your current institution - in fact, you don't even need institutional commitment to apply for one; the sponsored programs office doesn't need to sign the face page of the application. It's a 2 year award, $250,000 max.

Which grants for Res Assoc?

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:08 pm

You should make an appointment with someone in the office of sponsored research in your univeristy. Each institution will have different guidelines as to what type of role you may be able to have in submitting a proposal as the PI. Your title may mean one thing at one univeristy and something very different at another. Therefore, do yourself a favor and go to the source who can answer your questions most correctly--at YOUR univeristy.

Good luck.

Which grants for Res Assoc?

Postby Y.L. » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:07 am

Talk to your PI if he or she is nice. They know how to play games and may tell you where to fish. Last one: let him or her be the first reviewer of your proposal. Good luck.
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Return to Science Careers Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests