Subscribe

Forum

What's entry level for Ph.D.s in Pharmaceutical companies?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Erica » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:13 am

I've begun the very early process of seeing what is out there. While I'd been planning to stay in academia for the long haul, our lab's collaborations with a couple of pharmaceutical companies have peaked my interest in industry. I'm very familiar with what to do next for academic jobs, but I'm having trouble figuring out what level of job I should be looking for in pharmaceutical companies. I have a Ph.D. in toxicology and three years of academic postdoctoral experience. So I'm somewhere between "requirements: B.S. in biological sciences" and "a Ph.D. and at least 10 years of project management experience". What am I looking for? Associate Scientist? Senior Scientist? Another postdoc? If I knew how to structure my searches I'd spend less time reading interesting job descriptions that I'm over or under qualified for.
Erica

Postby Andrew » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:06 am

Job titles vary a lot, so thats not likely to be helpful. I would generally not bother applying to jobs advertised as BS/MS. Look for PhD with 0-3 years experience. A lot of these aren't advertised as it is very easy to generate a lot of resumes from job fairs or just by sending professors letters. What is the biggest tox sciences conference around? A posting on the jobs board at that conference would probably fill any recruiter's needs for an entry level PHD position. SO, you may not see many of these positions actively advertised and you need to start calling around to dig up the info.
Andrew

Postby A. Sam » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:45 pm

You'll get farther if you don't confuse your homonyms. Be sure to tell them that they've piqued your interest.
A. Sam

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Hi Erica,

Andrew's advice is excellent.

Watch out how you qualify titles as a part of a search. In one company client of mine, a Research Associate is a very high level senior staffer in research. But, in many other companies, the same job title refers to BS/MS level people who assist the PhD's. Also, in most companies a Group Leader is a title that means "first tier of management." In a major chemical company in St. Louis, that Group Leader is a very senior level person, at the top of the pyramid.

If I had to pick one job title that would fit a person with your years and qualifications, it would be Research Scientist.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Erica » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've got my resume on the SOT career database now, and maybe I won't spend so much time searching the websites. Don't worry, I'll be sure to get somebody to edit my cover letter for typos (thank you Sam).
Erica

Return to Science Careers Forum