what can i do with a BA in biology???

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby K. McKay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:26 pm

I am a college senior and I will be graduating in May. I ultimately want to go into the healthcare field, but I have no idea what kind of jobs are available for bio majors. If anyone has any advice, please help!!!! Thanks.
K. McKay

Postby Erica » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:21 pm

I worked as a technician when I graduated with a BS in biology. We have several such techs working in my current lab now, two of whom are in the process of applying for medical school, and one who is applying to graduate school. These positions can be tricky to get if you don't have any relevant lab experience, so if this is something that interests you, you might see about volunteering in a lab now, before you try to go on the job market.

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:24 pm

Hello K,

First off, do a search on this site for "BS" degrees. While this may not be quite the same as your BA, it is how they are usually referred to on this forum.

You'll have plenty of opportunities, and you'll need to nail down your questions a bit because it is way too general. Do you want to go into research? (Research Associate or "Technician" jobs in industry, academia, and gov't labs). Do you have an interest in operations? (Manufacturing Operator, Validation Technician, etc). Are you a "people person" interested in a business career? (Sales Rep, Marketing Associate).

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Megan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:23 pm

After graduating with a BA in biology I did a post-baccalaureate IRTA fellowship with the National Institutes of Health. I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you want a year to get research experience, apply to grad school, and get exposure to some of the best scientists in the country. You don't have to be in a lab if you prefer a health care setting. There are fellowships what are less research oriented and more clinical. Here's the website:

Best of luck!

Postby Abby » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:40 pm

One way to be in the lab and in health care at the same time is as a medical technologist. This is an under represented profession. Check out the american society for clinical pathology for info about med tech's.

Med technology.. is another degree

Postby John Mastro » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:54 pm

Correct me if I am mistaken, but the title Medical Technologist is one confired on a "certified" person the requirements including a 4 yr program. In the old days the degree requirements were less rigorous, but having tried to make the switch, I think you may need more education.
John Mastro

Return to Science Careers Forum