Subscribe

Forum

Establishing contacts within industry

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Michael Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:05 am

Looking through job listings, I ran across a description that sounded almost exactly what I was looking for. The caveat is that the position is for a PhD+ 5 years, and I?m looking for a postdoc. I was encouraged that I found a division in industry, in the area of the country I want to move to, that does microdialysis (my expertise). I?ve been trying to find names of researchers within this division who might be doing this technique and to maybe contact them for advice on getting to where they are, but since it?s a big pharm I?m not having much luck. Are there any suggestions, or should I focus my efforts elsewhere?
Michael Smith

Postby Emil Chuck » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:35 am

If it sounds too good to be true... go for it.

So ask yourself what is your goal? To get a job with this firm? If so, what do you need to do to familiarize yourself with this company? Certainly find someone to ask about what it's like to work there, maybe tour the facility, hopefully talk to a lot of employees (informational interview), find out what other opportunities there are in that company.

You should look up their website and see which division could be involved with your expertise. (You can also see if there are other jobs that company offers that they haven't put up on your job list source.) Look it up in their directory and see what scientists come up. You may want to cross-reference those names with any academic papers that they author (so you can see the pedigree and determine any networking contacts [with one or two degrees of separation]).

If you want to move there, certainly ask if there are any entry-level positions available for someone with your credentials in the area you want. If you have a significant amount of experience in the technique as a PhD student, you can probably tout that as an advantage.
Emil Chuck

Postby Val » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:55 am

If you have a significant amount of experience in the technique as a PhD student, you can probably tout that as an advantage.

In Australia, a PhD degree is counted roughly as 1 year of industrial experience when you are applying for an industry job.

Val

Return to Science Careers Forum