Subscribe

Forum

US vs Europe?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

US vs Europe?

Postby Jody » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:07 am

Hey all,
if everything else are comparable, then is work environment in an "average" european lab is better than a comparable US lab for post-doc? I know, there can not be any generalization, but would like to know from people about their experience, who have seen the both Worlds.
Jody

US vs Europe?

Postby Val » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:38 am

Jody,

Your question is unspecific. Unspecific questions are often deleted by the moderators.

Generally, (e.g. in Germany), the research is stifled by bureaucracy. This is why young German researchers like to go to the US.

But not everything is rosy in the US. The research should conform to the prevailing school of thought. E.g. my Australian supervisor got funding from a US corporation behemoth to investigate a certain effect (and hired me to do it). The US corporation could not find anyone in the US to do the research because the US school of thought do not recognise the existence of that effect. Working on that effect would be a kiss of death for a career of any American scientist... therefore, nobody had the skill or equipment or interest to do it... ;-(

Regards,
Val

Val

US vs Europe?

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:15 pm

Jody,

i do not understand your thought process here, or how you could come to that conclusion. I would not say that any lab in Europe is better than any lab in the USA for a postdoc . . . That's just plain wrong! You should choose a postdoc based on the individual parameters of the research lab, the PI's background and your relationship with him or her, what you can get out of the time, the connections you'll develop, etc.

Val is right. Please avoid these kinds of questions in the future,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum