Subscribe

Forum

advantage of NIH?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

advantage of NIH?

Postby Jody » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:17 am

Hi all,
We hear a lot of "been there" advantage from NIH postdocs. Is it a fact that a NIH postdoc gets more advantage in the job market over the postdocs from universities (barring the top bracket ones,like MIT, Stanford etc.)? Or is it the publication only, that matters at the end of the day? please share your opinions.......
Jody

advantage of NIH?

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:17 pm

There is more of a sense of "mission" at the NIH for a Postdoc. As such, it is a bit closer to the industry atmosphere. I would say that postdocs from the NIH have an excellent track record in moving over to industry. If that is your goal, it should be in strong consideration.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

advantage of NIH?

Postby Park » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:52 pm

"I would say that postdocs from the NIH have an excellent track record in moving over to industry."

Dave,
Could you please give more detail?

Park
Park

advantage of NIH?

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi Park,

I believe that NIH postdocs are considered excellent training and that, while it depends upon the lab and the PI, many of them transfer successfully to industry. NIH has more of a "mission-based" research approach, as opposed to the totally independent work of a research scientist in a typical academic lab postdoc. Industry knows and recognizes this,

Dave Jensen

(PS - Park, I pulled your post down from that "Don't Be A Scientist" guy. That crap has been floating around the internet a fair amount, and we don't need it here cluttering up this forum discussion. Thanks for your understanding . . . )
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

advantage of NIH?

Postby Park » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:59 pm

Thanks, Dave.

I am looking for Postdoct, considering a position at Top university or NIH. That is why I am curious about the Postdoct at NIH.

(For that post, I am glad you call it crap.)
Park

Return to Science Careers Forum