Careers in science besides research

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Laura » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:20 pm

I am a junior in college, majoring in bio with a chem minor, and I am looking at grad schools and trying to get an idea of what's out there as far as careers go. I am currently thinking of just getting my Masters, at least to begin with, but I don't want to just be in lab doing research. If anyone has any suggestions for me about careers in biology that would allow for a lot of human interaction and would also be fun and exciting, I would be very interested in hearing about it. Thank you!

Also, if you have any suggestions about good grad programs in either neuroscience or genetics, I wouldn't mind hearing about that either!

Postby Lora » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:47 pm

If you dislike bench work and enjoy people, then the standard Ph.D.-postdoc-senior researcher career is probably not for you. Let's put it this way: I spend my weekends cooped up in the lab, wrecking my eyes on the fluorescence microscope watching my cells get infected. The only human contact I had all day today, apart from seeing my husband off to work, was when a misanthropic lab-mate dropped by to check on her infections. The sum total of our conversation was, "Where's the ProK?" "In the fridge, it's already got buffer." "Thanks." This is normal. It will not change for several years, at which point my corporate masters will let me out of my lab about once a week to give PowerPoint presentations.

If you like people, you could consider clinical work, but other options include sales (which also requires some charisma and a good wardrobe), science education, tech support, ethics policy, grant writing, science reporting, editing (not just journals, but also texts and science books for publishing houses), project management...Lots of things you can do.

Don't recommend QA/Regulatory if you're a real people person, though. There's a lot of, ahem, *spinal fortitude* involved in Regulatory positions. You have to be very assertive and not care if people dislike you.

Postby John Fetzer » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:49 pm

Having written some on this area, I will just list areas that do not involve bench research, but do need a basis in science to do better. Teaching/ lecturing/ tutoring; sales and marketing, including public relations work for science-oriented companies; patent agency or other patent support work; science-oriented information, such as working doing science literature and patent searches and working in a science or technical library; regulatory work, including ISO and SLP/SMP inspections; science writing; working for scientific societies.....the list goes on.

John Fetzer

Return to Science Careers Forum