Subscribe

Forum

Interesting webinar for plant scientists

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Interesting webinar for plant scientists

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Here's an interesting webinar for scientists considering plant breeding as a career. I would urge you to stay tuned to this and future webinars from the NAPB (National Assoc of Plant Breeders) if this sounds at all interesting. My feeling is that plant breeding is one of those "must have" sectors for science to solve the pending food security issues in the world. Every time we do a plant breeding search at our firm, there are too few candidates (and too many open jobs.)

Dave Jensen

Here's the announcement

The NAPD Early Career Working Group has partnered with the Education Committee to prepare a series of panel discussions this spring focused on future challenges and prospects in plant breeding. The first webinar will be April 10 at 1PM EDT and will feature NAPB Leadership Dr. Wayne Smith, Dr. Todd Campbell and Dr. Klaus Koehler. Don’t delay, register today: https://learn.extension.org/events/3385

An editorial comment from your moderator: Plant breeding is only one niche in the life sciences for what must be hundreds of career options. Should you see an "early careers" focused presentation such as this occurring in your specialty area (web based, not a local meet-up) please do not hesitate to post it here, regardless of the science niche. I want this website to be the place for early career scientists to go and discover unique training opportunities. Thanks, Mod.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Interesting webinar for plant scientists

Postby CJB » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Dave, what about strain improvement in general? (e.g. for microbial fermentation or similar bioprocess applications)
CJB

Re: Interesting webinar for plant scientists

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 pm

CJB wrote:Dave, what about strain improvement in general? (e.g. for microbial fermentation or similar bioprocess applications)

Hi CJB,

This whole area is a good field. I've had problems finding microbial physiologists for work in any number of industries, for strain improvement projects in biofuels, or food products, or pharmaceuticals and more. Gene-editing is solidly of interest as well -- even in the livestock area.

Sorry I don't have any interesting webinars in these other areas, but going after any of these is likely to produce a career in a field that has plenty of opportunity.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum