Subscribe

Forum

The Biotech Company Experience

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Val » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:30 pm

Lora wrote:

...tends to produce a lot of students who can't cope with a steep learning curve... Then they're astonished that sometimes, you have to read a book you weren't assigned, or make extensive use of Google or PubMed, all without being told to do it.

I would not say that these are youniversities who are responsible for such a learning capability -- it has rather to do with the students themselves, more exactly with the fact that they are Y-Generation. Their parents, baby-boomers, had to struggle through deprivation when they themselves were students, but boomers' children, Y-Gen, already got everything for comfortable life and never had a need for hard work to get it. Now the Y-Gen is becoming a majority of the workforce, and the prevailing working culture is their culture. You have to work according to their rules whether you want it or not. From the point of view of an X-Gen, their key qualities is their inability to focus on getting the work done. The workplace is rather the place for having fun. A useful work can sometimes be accidentially done. If you have not produced a useful result, that's OK. No blame is assigned, and people can be sacked without it.

The corollary is that the workprocesses from now on will be conducted according to the rules which are contradictory to work ethics rules we the older generation hold dear. We have to learn to live with that. The work culture of Y-Gen is not worse; it is just different. It is possible for the society to produce useful things operating according to the Y-Gen work ethics. So, in summary -- buckle up, and prepare for a ride ! :-)

Regards,
Val
Val

Postby Carlysle Tancha » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:38 pm

Yes, Val, you are right. The Y-Gen grew up during a time when all was well with the world. In the States, things are dramatically changing and there will be some kind of wake-up call, and because no work is getting done, there will be someone to blame and it is not going to be pretty. Get ready for the next GREAT DEPRESSION! Ready or not here they come... it will be interesting to see how things will change.
Carlysle Tancha

Postby Val » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:11 pm

Carlysle wrote:

In the States, things are dramatically changing and there will be some kind of wake-up call, and because no work is getting done, there will be someone to blame and it is not going to be pretty.

A few thoughts occured to my mind:

• The mentioned next Great Depression might come and might not come. Change of the business paradigm will call for the change of the people in rule. The ruling elite might give in without fight, put up a fight or lead the change.

• The next Great Depression might come to the US but not to the rest of the world. Not everyone lives in the US.

• As I said in my previous posting, ANALYSIS was the tool of science (e.g. physics) up to date. This line of scientific thinking exhausted itself. A new approach -- SYNTHESIS -- is emerging. People who are good at analytical thinking are no good at synthetic (constructive) thinking, and vice versa. Building the new scientific school of thought means that all establishment of the previous school will be discarded. Establishment people will not like any bit of it and will fight. The new school will become prevalent only when the members of the previous school die out. It can take 10 or more years. The reason why they will die out is because of the economical crisis when the occupation of scientist is not requested by the society and does not pay living wage (e.g. as was during the Great Depression).

• It is useless to worry about the future, i.e. about the things which are out of your control. "If worry won't fix it, don't worry".

Regards,
    Val
    Val

Postby Val » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:59 pm

• The impact of an economic crisis on a younger scientist can be not only negative but positive as well. Younger scientists in temporary positions will be considered for the permanent openings in a company/natl-lab/academia only after the buddies of the advertisers, who (the buddies) were at higher salaries in industry and who are now looking for a safer harbour. However, the economical crisis can play in favour of the younger scientists. They are usually ambitios and look for increased responsibility. The company has got into problem because their old products are not selling well anymore, and the management needs new ideas and new energetic staff who is capable of implementing the change into the company.

Val

Postby Carlysle Tancha » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:32 am

Val, you are right--not everyone lives in the US. But, the economies of the world are incresingly interdependent upon on another. This is something that is unavoidable. Yes, it may or may not come.

I do agree with the new paradigm and feel as though I am one who is of the next generation. I have been working hard to bring many ideas together--in synthesis. I realized this in other labs, where there was a difficulty in being able to see the big picture AND also be able to find the points of inflection that are the controllers of major pathways and such. From my point of view, we are in need of being able to synthesize these systems. Notice that the NIH roadmap for the future and that the International Human Frontier Science Program Organization is emphasizing such collaborations and new thinking. I hope that there are more of us pushing forward with our thinking and that we don't get deterred!!!
    Carlysle Tancha

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum