Subscribe

Forum

Applying for jobs with the same company with different email accounts(not duplicate appls)

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Applying for jobs with the same company with different email accounts(not duplicate appls)

Postby Tony Derten » Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 am

Hi all,

I'm a postdoc, in the process of job search, looking exclusively into industry. I want to switch from my edu work email to my gmail, and some sites don't allow to change the email in the profile. Would it hurt my chances to open another account on a jobs site? As mentioned in the subject, this is not to apply for same position multiple times, but for other/new open positions.
Tony Derten

Re: Applying for jobs with the same company with different email accounts(not duplicate ap

Postby D.X. » Thu May 03, 2018 2:58 am

I guess I'll take the first stab with the question of... why do even bother submitting applications to a company website? That's like throwing your CV into the garbage at the very first instance.

Network first and at the same time get a recruiter to help you. You're wasting your time.

The newer thing I hear going on where I'm living is "bots" - basically an algothrim that is automation wise doing the first screen of CVs when you submit your CV into one of them black-hole job application data-bases. People here are getting rejection notices within 24 hours - obviously done by the "bots". Financial institutions here are for a fact using them and i'm guess pharma is probably not far behind if not already using them (can anybody confirm?).

Anyways - doesn't makter with the email, if you make a new account, each account is treated individually.

Cheers. DX.
D.X.

Re: Applying for jobs with the same company with different email accounts(not duplicate ap

Postby Tony Derten » Thu May 03, 2018 9:57 am

DX, thanks for your reply and I appreciate the advice.

Regarding networking and meeting recruiters, it's actually not so easy to accomplish as a postdoc. I did have some luck getting interviews with online applications, but usually there is no rejection--just no reply, and the application status would show up as either "under review" or "declined" in the system.
Tony Derten

Postby D.X. » Thu May 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Tony,

When I was a post-doc I did alot of networking - low hanging fruit included alumni and sometimes a cold-call email/phone call to folks I was able to identify on the web at organization I was interested in.

These were the days before LinkedIn. Recruiters could be found via word of mouth, some (recruiters) even posted jobs on Craigslist back in my day and my area for some jobs in my job sector (back then 3rd party Med Comms firms).

You can also see who is in your university, stop by your tech transfer office or grants/CME office or external communications depts, or research admin office where say the IRB sits etc. Use your university as much as possible. Knock on doors, you never know who you'll meet or what network they have.

All the best,

DX
D.X.

Postby Dick Woodward » Thu May 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Tony:

DX is absolutely right. Networking is the way to go. Applying via multiple emails, even for different jobs, is a great way to get all of your applications trashed.

Here's a suggestion for you. On Saturday, go back through the Forum and read all of the threads on networking.(You may think that you know them, but go ahead and refresh your memory, OK?) Think about how they apply to you. Think about how you would use them. On Sunday, use your thoughts from Saturday to develop and write down a list of people to contact. On Monday, start the process.

I got my first industrial job out of my postdoc via a convoluted chain of networking (I think that it may be discussed in the Forum someplace.) Almost all of the other positions that I have held came as the result of more networking - even internal moves within the same company.

Good luck,

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby Tony Derten » Fri May 04, 2018 3:30 pm

DX and Dick,

Thanks for all your advice. I do work on networking, but it's really not that easy when you're a posdoc doing tons of lab work and by and large only meet other postdocs or students at local events. The few industry people that I've met have cut me off the moment I mentioned job-related networking. And I was being decent about it, mostly asked what would be a good way to meet people from the industry. From what I understand, they get approached about job help very often and just don't want to deal with these things or to compromise themselves by recommending someone they don't know. I'm at a fairly small place, so I accept this may be very different around big industry hubs.

Tony
Tony Derten

Postby Dick Woodward » Fri May 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Tony:

Do not ask them about job-related networking. Try asking them what the critical steps were that got them to where they are. Try asking them what advice they would have for someone like you who is trying to break into industry. People always like to talk about themselves, and they almost always like to give advice.

Please follow my suggestions for this weekend in my previous response - I think that you need a networking refresher.

Good luck,

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Tony Derten wrote:DX and Dick,

Thanks for all your advice. I do work on networking, but it's really not that easy when you're a posdoc doing tons of lab work and by and large only meet other postdocs or students at local events. The few industry people that I've met have cut me off the moment I mentioned job-related networking. And I was being decent about it, mostly asked what would be a good way to meet people from the industry. From what I understand, they get approached about job help very often and just don't want to deal with these things or to compromise themselves by recommending someone they don't know. I'm at a fairly small place, so I accept this may be very different around big industry hubs.

Tony

Hi Tony, as often stated here on the forum, the "kiss of death" to any job seeking networking is to ask about jobs. Odd, but true. "Are there any open positions now at ABC?" and you are bounced out of your conversation.

You'll find it much easier to ask them about their careers, how they did it, what the process was that they followed. Ask them about what skills are important to success, and so on, staying as far away as possible from anything where you'd get sent to HR.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby PG » Sat May 05, 2018 10:05 am

In addition to mutliple tips about how to do networking this forum also contains a number of success stories from various people who have been successful in their networking efforts. We are in agreement that networking will take some time and effort but it is necessary to make that investment in finding a new position. Applying for advertised positions has a very low probability of success which increases dramatically if you network. If I use myself as an example I have gotten all my earler positions through networking either directly or by that someone in my network gave my information to a recruiting Company.
PG

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat May 05, 2018 11:31 am

PG wrote:In addition to mutliple tips about how to do networking this forum also contains a number of success stories from various people who have been successful in their networking efforts. We are in agreement that networking will take some time and effort but it is necessary to make that investment in finding a new position. Applying for advertised positions has a very low probability of success which increases dramatically if you network. If I use myself as an example I have gotten all my earler positions through networking either directly or by that someone in my network gave my information to a recruiting Company.

We have clients who give us the search to conduct and then, as an afterthought, give us a hundred CV's that came in via their web engine. "You can look at these also," they'll say. Almost universally, the candidates come from our networking, and not from the "applications." It goes back to whether you want to be an APPLICANT or a CANDIDATE. Should you be discovered through the networking process, you are a CANDIDATE for the job. But an APPLICANT is a piece of paper that comes through the internet with a thousand other pieces of paper and is completely disposable.

Read for more info: http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2010/06/tooling-be-candidate

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum