Subscribe

Forum

realistic career expectations after taking a new position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: realistic career expectations after taking a new position

Postby PG » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Although our company goal for retention of staff is a lot higher than what can be achieved if people leave after 2.5 years I can understand that you want to move on after this time if you dont have a good development plan in place.

Having said that staying for two years gives your manager something to work with. Typically most of our development plans during the first 6-12 months are going to be about learning the current job, after that time we have started to get a picture about you as an employee, what your interests are, in what direction you want to develop your career as well as what we think that you can do.

In line with this when I look at candidates for a position if you only stayed 6 months Before getting in Contact with me about a new job I will probably view that as a negative unless you have a good explanation for it. If you left more than one position already after 6 months it will start to be a serious problem.
On the other hand if you stayed in your previous position for maybe 24-30 months I will see you as someone who just want a new challenge. I will probably still ask why you want a new job during the interview but more as a standard question than as something that is viewed as a potential problem.
PG

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum