Subscribe

Forum

Millenials in the Workplace

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Millenials in the Workplace

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 pm

This is part vent and part search for answers, but I have recently been the recipient of so much odd behavior that it is remarkable and I'm wondering if people had ideas as to root cause. Specifically:

- employee resigns after 6 months because we did not promote her

- employee starts in October, is upset that she cannot take the last week of the year off as vacation due to project work and she had not enough days accrued anyway, takes it without permission and gets her stupid self fired as a result

- employee resigns after 7 months because we had to fire her friend (see above)

- candidate schedules a Skype interview, and does not show up

- candidate schedules an onsite interview, reschedules once, then does not show up

- candidate accepts position, then 2 weeks later 3 days before the start date rescinds the acceptance to accept a counter-offer from the current job

- candidate accepts position, communicates with us over a 2-3 week period then does not show up on the first day of work. Does not respond to emails or phone calls

I wonder how people consider this is at all acceptable behavior. Back in the day we got advice on how to behave in life from parents and other more senior adults. Today I think kids do not listen to their parents and do not know anyone over 30. They live in an echo chamber of Facebook friends that are all their peers and also have no idea how to behave in the workplace or in life. That's my theory anyway. What's yours?
Andrew

Re: Millenials in the Workplace

Postby PG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 am

The following theory comes from my kids who are in the generation that we are talking about. Some of this is also visible in my youngest who is 9.

Millenials are used to have everything on demand. If they want to watch a television show they will do so online and the show will start whenever they want it to start and end when they want it to end. When they want to play with their friends they can do so immediately by going online. Combine this with the frequent use various electronic games and social media that provides immediate rewards in different forms and you may get the behaviouors that define the millenials or as at least one psychologist defined them the "I generation".
PG

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Interesting. I see this in my 15 yr old as well, but I hope I have trained him to treat people with more respect.

By the way, all of these examples are from the past 6 months. I think there is this notion reverberating in the Facebook echo chambers of the millenials that companies show no loyalty and abuse employees, so nobody cares if you are rude to or abuse them. The problem is that the companies are just collections of people that have to deal with this behavior.
Andrew

Postby Abby » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Before this turns into millenial bashing, remember that anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 22 to 37 in 2018) will be considered a Millennial, and anyone born from 1997 onward will be part of a new generation. So the youngest people entering higher-ed and the workforce are not millenials.

That said, I seem to remember another generation that starts with a B not an M not trusting anyone over 30 either. So my point is that bad behavior goes with members of every generation and a lot of this behavior has to do with being new to the workforce, not being a member of a certain generation.
Abby

Return to Science Careers Forum