Subscribe

Forum

Resigned but invited for internal interview

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Resigned but invited for internal interview

Postby Ralf K. » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Dear all,

My situation gets complicated. I received a decent offer from an another company, that I gladly accepted.
I was trying to do an internal move for over 6 months to 1 year without success. I still have an internal application that was sent months ago and now suddenly they want to invite me after my resignation.

Shall I cancel the process thankfully? Its very early in the process and the hiring managers knows that I resigned... It is a small world that's why I don't want to send a wrong signal in case somebody from the new company would hear about it. But I really would like to meet with the hiring manager to learn about that job and talk about the future.

I really like the company I work for - just not my current role. Is there a way to stay in good contact for the future and make sure they understand the value I (would have) brought/what I really wanted to do?

Thank you
Ralf
Ralf K.

Re: Resigned but invited for internal interview

Postby Dick Woodward » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 am

Once you have accepted the offer from the other company, you are pretty much obligated to move forward with it. If you do not, the word will get out, and that will not be good for your career.

I suspect that the interview offer at your current company is an attempt at a counter-offer. My feeling about counter-offers is that your present company is saying "we think that you are someone who can be bought" and by accepting such a counter-offer, you prove it. [Full disclosure - I usually use somewhat earthier terms...]

Additionally, with a counter-offer, you have to wonder if you are just being kept around until they can find your successor - at which point you may be let go anyway.

My advice - politely decline the interview offer, since you have already accepted another position.

Best of luck.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Re: Resigned but invited for internal interview

Postby D.X. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:50 am

I agree with Dick.

They know you resigned, they could have counter-offered when you signalled you had another offer.

Don't even waste your time to talk to other hiring manager about the position beyond a humble "thank you, but no thank you". It will put you on higher ground.

You are leaving on a postive note it sounds and if one day you want to go back you can right?

You've accepted the external offer so good luck with it!

Good luck,

Dx
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum