Subscribe

Forum

Generation Gap Again? Interesting article about Linear or Non-Linear Careers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Generation Gap Again? Interesting article about Linear or Non-Linear Careers

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am

“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: Generation Gap Again? Interesting article about Linear or Non-Linear Careers

Postby D.X. » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 am

Hi Dave,

Seeing no responses yet, i'll respond. I agree with the article.

One point in particular:

"But modern career trajectories are rarely so cut-and-dry. They often involve quickly adapting to new roles as they develop, and for many people, it’s normal to switch companies or even industries several times in a career."

This in part relates to the post i made about your 1st 3 months on the job.

And also relates to shorter tenures in companies as compared to our parent's generation (I'm a Gen X'er). The shorter tenure are not only linked to "self-entrepreneural" behavior - i.e. move on once there's nothing else to gain but also linked to how corporations are today, there is no loyalty and there does tend to be a trend to hire more externally than to grow internal talents. So its a landscape where you need to put yourself first. I can go off but I do think in coporate, there is more tribal behvior than social but I'll stop there..but that is also underlying the non-linear career environment today.

Unfortunately, as hinted to i the article, alot of companies and hiring-managers still have very old fasion views regarding the need to have a linear path - Big Pharma is gulity of this one, and even in interviews they all want a nice linear story.

My career i think has been fairly non-linear. I've been in a few companies - even made a jump to another area of expertise, learned alot but found nothing in the longer-term there so i jumped back to another path. The funny part is, in interviews i tell a linear story (the back story i leave out).

I have been lucky to find hiring managers with non-linear paths - open to folks like me. So in those interviews and my most successful interviews, when I feel comfortable to tell the back story, I do. i.e. Family. Job environment, personal choices. etc. And its where in generally i'v gotten the job.

I guess the other message i emphasize from the article, is today I don't think we map careers, I do think we are more reactionary, I think we're working more opportunistically, and we're more non-linear, i also like to think of non-linear career folks as more flexible and apt to change. Which are all advantages in my opinion.

DX
D.X.

Return to Science Careers Forum