Subscribe

Forum

How do you prefer recruiters contact you?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: How do you prefer recruiters contact you?

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 am

Ana wrote:Not a millennial. E-mail or LinkedIn private message (gets to my email) are also my preferred routes to either schedule a call or copy a couple of my contact emails for the recruiter if I think they would be more interested in such opportunity.

Do you know it costs about $10 or so PER EMAIL to use LinkedIn's mail function?
How could any business that makes dozens or a hundred contacts in a day really do that?

Should a small business (some single person doing a recruiting job) pay$300,000 a year in LinkedIn "InMail" charges (when they earn substantially less than this) or pay the exorbitant bulk pricing and "Recruiter" charges the website imposes?

I don't think that's practical. You can only message people for free if you are first person connected. If I do a search even in an area I know well, and have 100 in the list, 20 of them will be first connections and the other 80 will be people I'd have to pay $10 to reach. That is not a workable solution.

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: How do you prefer recruiters contact you?

Postby PG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:42 am

Also not a millenial. For me anything works as long as you are actually able to reach me and as I said my office phone is unlikely to accomplish that while linkedin, e-mail (Company or personal) as well as mobile phone will usually succeed. If I get contacted by for example my Company e-mail about receiving advice regarding a position I will move that dicussion to my personal e-mail or phone if it would be a position that I have some type of interest in. Also note that I am in Europe meaning that the Company I work for have very limited possibilities to monitor also my Company phone or e-mail unless they have reason to for example suspect a crime.

The way this usually works for the moment is that I get an invite on linkedin to connect with someone from a recruiting Company only saying Hi, my name is xxx and I work as a senior recruiter for yyy and would like to connect with you. Once I accept we can exchange messages more easily.
I usually accept invites from recruiters with activities in my field since a contact is of mutual benefit regardless if I am currently interested in a new position or not since I both have a network of other people that might be relevant and that I also sometimes needs to recruit of course my situation may also change in the future.
PG

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum