Subscribe

Forum

Leave Postdoc/ T32 early (before 1 year)

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Leave Postdoc/ T32 early (before 1 year)

Postby Mira D » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi, I'm considering leaving my postdoc for a non-academic position sometime in the next couple of months. I am currently funded through a institutional NIH T32 grant which started in the last few months. If I leave my Postdoc this fall, then I will have only been on the T32 less than 6 months. I am indeed aware of the pay-back agreement. Having read FAQs on this matter, my impression is that I will need to pay back through service or money the time that I have spent funded on the T32. Are there other penalties or policies I need to be aware of that govern the process of leaving a T32 grant inside of one year?

thank you
Mira
Mira D

Re: Leave Postdoc/ T32 early (before 1 year)

Postby RSD » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am

Hi Mira,

If you leave the T32 for a non-academic position that still utilizes your degree in a research capacity, you will not have to pay in cash. Your continued research, even if it is for a company, will count as pay back.

I left my T32 funded postdoc after about 18 months, and satisfied my payback obligation through my work at a biotech company doing method and reagent development. Depending on the position you are taking, you may have to do nothing more than to fill out the paperwork at the end of your payback period.
RSD

Postby Mira D » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:02 pm

What if my next job doesn't use research skills (at least not explicitly, i.e. not working at a bench or doing science)? How much does the NIH really follow up with folks on this?
Mira D

Postby RSD » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:52 pm

In my experience, the NIH followed up with paperwork at the end of the payback period. If you exit your T32 position with the indication that you will not be continuing in research (I think they have this in the T32 termination paperwork, but its been a while), I suspect they will remind you about your payback obligation and how to either re-pay the T32 stipend cost or otherwise fulfill the obligation.

I would expect them to follow up, as this is the sole purpose of the payback obligation for training grants.
RSD

Return to Science Careers Forum