Subscribe

Forum

Headhunter VS direct application

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Headhunter VS direct application

Postby Ralf K. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 am

Hi everyone,

I think we had a similar question a couple of years ago but I would like to have a more thorough explanation.
If you are contacted by a Headhunter for a position you also can find advertised online. Is it better to hit the apply button or to go via the headhunter?

A headhunter could have exclusive partnership for that position / could a have positive saying if I connect well with him. But in a direct application I don't have 20kUSD bounty fee that will cost the hiring company.

I had good and bad headhunter and it is hard to say in advance as I did not have contact with this company yet (first called planned this week). How would you proceed? What questions would you ask that recruiter/talent scouter to better understand the situation?

Thank you
Ralf K.

Re: Headhunter VS direct application

Postby D.X. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Ralf,

I'd ask the recruiter if they have exclusivity and mandate to fill the role by HR AND the hiring manager.

There are alot of garbage recruitment agencies that have zero mandate or exclusivity and just try to submit CVs.

So get clarity on exclusivity..if that have that the have mandate..or...if they don't have exclusivity, ask if they have Mandate. Often company's will have recruiters on thier preferred vendor list AND they'll have given a RFP to a recruiter (that is what I mean about mandate) to help full the position. No RFP = no Mandate.

The recruiter if having a RFP should know who the hiring manager is or should have at least had a converstaion with the hiring manager - a good recruiter will also know the internal dynamics of your target company.

As for apply button..yes a company can save money via your direct application but then you go into the dark hole of nothingness. If a company had decided to use a recruiter then they have already written off that hiring fee in thier budgets - they don't care.

If you are not feeling it with the recruiter you could try to go directly with the company talent scout or HR or try to find hiring manager on Linkedin or better yet network - but for 99 percent of the time you'll do yourself no justice if you apply on line in the database portals.

With a recruiter if they have mandate and are willing to work with you, they'll pitch you. So they will actually present your dossiers to the company..its like someone advocating for you. Better have that.....than nothing which is what hitting the apply button will do.

There are some companys that don't use recruiters - so be aware - try to use your network to figure that out.

Good luck!

DX
D.X.

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I agree with DX. As a recruiter myself, I can share that there are a lot of people with the same job who simply send CV's off to ads and keep the fingers crossed that they'll get a fee. That's a sleazy practice.

So, find out if the person has an exclusive. "Are you working on a sole-source assignment here, with direct access to the hiring manager and HR?" -- simple question, and very telling in the way they respond.

If you have a good feeling about that person and they have a connection like this to the employer, you'll be SO MUCH better off than by going through the application process on a website.

Dave Jensen
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Ralf K. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Thank you for the answers and using the right terms.

So I had a chat with the recruiter and it was an unpleasant experience. Told me shedule a call right away and not in 2 days, eventhough I was booked. So I had a call, then he asked me to give a CV in the next hour. Well I am busy and have meeting, I will not work on my cv. I decided to stop going forward and said thank you but I prefer to pass this current opportunity.

Further research (yes I called the company as the job description was the same) and they told me no that they don't give a exclusivity and in case I would be interested I should apply on the homepage.

So I decide to let it pass for this time and keep the learning you guys have told me. Next time I'll ask better questions on the phone. Thanks
Ralf K.

Return to Science Careers Forum