Subscribe

Forum

Awaiting job offers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Awaiting job offers

Postby S. Amberkar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Dear All,

It's been a while since I posted and I'm sure this topic would have been discussed before but my search string was too long and specific so thought of writing a proper post instead. So forgive my laziness but I'd appreciate if anyone can point me to similar posts. Here goes -

I recently applied for postdoc positions in 2 extremely different domains in different countries. I was pleasantly surprised by a sincere reception of my current work presentation and bioinformatics skills I'd bring for either of these positions. Let's call these positions in Lab A & B.

The PI from Lab A made an informal offer and asked if I'm still searching for other positions. I told him I was but haven't heard from the lab B (which is the truth) and I don't have a preference yet (half-truth, I want the lab B more than A). I'm awaiting Lab B's response but my understanding is they're waiting to receive my recommendations from my doctoral PI and have already received 2 more from my current PIs. If I don't receive a response this week from lab B - I'd let them know the offer from lab A (which might become official by the end of the week) but lab B being my 1st preference.

I've never did such a thing before and I feel it conveys unprofessional desperation. Fact of the matter is, it won't be the end of the world if I joined lab A but its a domain shift as large as studying apples instead of oranges.

Can someone help me with this conundrum? Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks.

Best,
Sandeep
S. Amberkar
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Awaiting job offers

Postby PG » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:51 am

The possible actions that I Think you can take are

1) Contact your doctoral PI and ensure that he/she sends the recommendation letter as soon as possible.

2) Contact lab B and ideally tell them that you have been in Contact with your PI and that he/she will send the recommendation eltter the same day by e-mail. Also tell them that you have another offer that you need to reply to at the latest xx but that you would prefer to come work for lab B. For this reason you need a relatively Quick reply to your application.

3) I would not wait so long with answering lab A that you risk losing that offer. Based on the information that you have you need to assess how long you can wait before this becomes a risk. Even if Lab B feels like a perfect match as long as you dont have an actual offer in hand it may go away. Once you have accepted something let the other lab know and make the best of the situation whatever that is. Dont look back and start thinking "what if "
PG
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm


Return to Science Careers Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests