Subscribe

Forum

IMPORTANT MESSAGE about the Science Careers Forum

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: IMPORTANT MESSAGE about the Science Careers Forum

Postby Jean » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:00 pm

I've been a long time reader of the forum, from grad school through post-doc and into my first industry job. The advice on the forum, particularly the threads about transitioning to industry and preparing industry job talks, helped me transition to a job I really enjoy, that has provided many opportunities for growth and advancement. The forum is a very valuable resource and hopefully it will continue in another venue.
Jean

Postby Ralf K. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Thank you soo much for the forum! It was for me the best career-related forum out there, where the answer were always extremely valuable coming from experienced people!

In case you are collecting the information as a database and load it somewhere else or make it downloadable as PDF, please share. Alternatively if the long-term poster/supporter are on another similar platform please share.

In any case: Thank you!

PS: Even if the posts had 2-3 replies, they had 3000-10000 views! Good job!
Ralf K.

Postby PG » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:47 am

The discussion on the forum have been useful for me and it has been fun to be a part of the activities here. If it moves somewhere I would be interested in participating in the discussions again if I can find the new one.

Thanks everyone for interesting discussions.
PG

Postby Dick Woodward » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am

I second what PG has said. This has been a useful forum, and I have enjoyed being part of it. Dave, if the forum moves somewhere, please let me know - it is too important to let die.

Dick
Dick Woodward

Postby R Aitkin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:25 pm

I add my suppport for continuation of the Forum. The breadth and maturity of the advice offered in response to a wide range of work place queries make the Forum a worthwhile resource for many - not just individuals in the early stages of their careers.
R Aitkin

Postby Cory » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello all,

I started with this forum back in the 90's and have maintained my interest ever since. I suspect that the traffic here is low enough that it's an afterthought and as time goes by it probably becomes more and more a backwater which feels a bit sad. I contrast the deep thinking, experience and advise offered here with the ever more Facebookish decline of LinkedIn with flashy headlines, one-liners and "trending" stories.

I've often emailed many junior scientists weblinks to this forum with the advice to take a look!

I'd like to give my deep thanks to Dave Jensen who has promoted, stimulated and guided this forum for so many years. With a number of great co-advisors along the way, I feel lucky that this community has lasted so long. Fingers crossed that it will live on in a different form. I'm happy to contribute to that effort if a volunteer is needed!

Sincerely,

Cory Bystrom
Cory

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for their nice comments . . . Cory, I appreciate your personal comment and have valued your participation here for many years.

Dave
“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life.”- Alain de Botton
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum