Subscribe

Forum

Low level government position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Low level government position

Postby Carl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:14 am

Hello everyone,

I recently received a PhD in microbiology and immunology and could use some career help. I have been on a job search for 10 months and I am losing patience. I just had an interview for a bioterrorism response position with the Centers for Disease Control. The main focus of the interview was the fact that I was overqualified for this position and if I would be willing to perform mundane experiments. I said I would be willing to work under these conditions if this job would improve my chances for getting other jobs in bioterrorism response.

This position is temporary, lasting a little over a year, possibly renewable for two more years depending on funding. Because the position is temporary, I will not be eligible for the governmental transition assistance programs (i.e. I will not get preference for other government jobs). There is very little chance of publishing (and I have a weak publication history). I will get experience in relevant environmental monitoring techniques.

I am wondering if this is a reasonable entry-level position for someone who will want to advance in government bioterrorism response (not necessarily in research), or if this will be a dead end that will leave me even less marketable in a little over a year.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl

Return to Science Careers Forum