Subscribe

Forum

Press Officer/Medical Writer career

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby A.Georgiev » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:00 am

Hi Everybody,
I finished a PhD thesis recently and I am doing a postdoc in the same laboratory at precent. I have very good publication track and work on a 'hot' topic that is interesting for many farmaceutical company. Bouth academic or industrial career paths are open for me now, but I want to keep my mind open also for other options. In regard of this I would like to ask for your oppinion for an Press Officer/Medical Writer career path. Do you find it a suitable(and attractive) job for somebody with PhD degree? Is it generally a well paid? Can you look on it as a prommising long-term career? What is your opinion for the matter of the work?
I dont have very clear idea what to expect and I will apriciate any information..
Thanks in advance
A.Georgiev

Postby MPB » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:38 am

Medical writing can be a fine job, and it can pay pretty well. But if you are thinking of doing this in the US, you need to have English-language fluency better than that of even typical native speakers of English. You have to understand something of the science, but you also have to have a thorough understanding of English grammar and to know (for example)the differences between "which" and "that"; "between" and "among"; "eg" and "ie"; "compose" and "comprise."

MPB

Re: mpb

Postby A.Georgiev » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:02 am

I get the point...
I am sure that the fluency of language is very important for a medical writer. It is maybe more important than the scientific knowledge. But it is also something that the one can develop and improve under the appropriate conditions. I am not a native English speaker. But still if I have the possibility to get an entry-level scientific writer position, is this a position giving good long-term perspectives or usually people look at it rather as a transient job after the PhD?
A.Georgiev

Re: mpb

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:09 am

Medical writers/scientific writers have their own career tracks. It is an excellent career choice for those who have this inclination, and I have never spoken to anyone who considers it a dead end job. MPB is right about the English fluency . . . so critical to success,

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Reality check

Postby Matthew » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:53 am

A. Georgiev,

The advice on this forum is top-notch, but sometimes sugar-coated. I think a dose of reality is, at times, appropriate. As a non-fluent english speaker, and without having already outstanding writing skills, you have no chance of landing an entry-level writing position. Judging from your original post, it would take years of study and training for you to be able to land such a position.
Matthew

Reality check

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:25 pm

I don't think we sugar coat advice on this forum. Being polite and being helpful gets the same response as being rude and direct -- and people feel better afterwards,

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Reality check

Postby MPB » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:30 pm

I think that Matthew is basically correct. I have known very few people who were not native speakers who were able to get medical writing jobs (I don't know about "science writing" but imagine the obstacles are similar). I suppose you could study and practice enough to overcome this, but it would likely take you years of intensive effort.

I have known a handful of foreign physicians who have landed jobs as "scientific directors" or "medical directors" at medical communications companies. But still, since these jobs require reviewing clinical manuscripts, a minimum of English-language fluency would be required.
MPB

Re: All

Postby A.Georgiev » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:46 pm

Thank you Matthew for being so direct.
Thank you MPB and Dave for being so diplomatic.
I am sure that you all had a good intention - to show me not to lose my time with something that is not for me.. Of course you are right, it was very stupid to post such a question accompanied with such a grammar..
You are right, I see that I will not fit well on such a position. Giving that I produce good results on the bench - maybe it is better to stay there...for now. Anyway - I just wanted to get some idea on the Medical Writer career, since in the Forum there is not much discussion on it...
A.Georgiev

Postby Matthew » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:04 pm

I do apologize if my post came off as rude. It was meant to be direct, not rude. Sometimes true meanings are lost in prose.
Matthew

Postby MPB » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:13 pm

AG, I missed part of your question. Is it a good/stable job? It can be. I know many PhDs who left academic positions to work as medical writers, editors, or other positions in medical communications/publishing. Most of them seem pretty happy to have escaped from the lab and from the streses of trying to get grants. My own quality of life, I would have to say, improved immesurably. But someone who eats, lives, and breathes science probably would not be happy doing this.
MPB

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum