Subscribe

Forum

My own little motivation experiment

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

My own little motivation experiment

Postby Emil Chuck » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 am

I recently attended a class on interpersonal skills in the workplace. In that session, I was asked to do the following exercise, which I share with the rest of the board. There are no right answers of course, but I did want to see discussion of these points, and I'd like to do a comparison that may be useful for everyone on the board.

This poll is not scientific unless someone wants to make it scientific.

Directions:

1) On a scale of one to ten, rank in order these ten items as to how important you feel they are to you, with #1 being the most important and #10 being the least important.

2a) To trainees: re-rank this list according to how you believe your supervisor would respond to this question.

2b) To supervisors: re-rank this list according to how you believe your employees or trainees would respond to this question.

The ten choices are listed in alphabetical order (and I hope unordered list tags work).

• Feeling "in" on things
  • Full appreciation for work done
  • Good wages and benefits
  • Good working conditions
  • Job security
  • Personal loyalty to employees
  • Promotion and growth in the company
  • Sympathetic help on personal problems
  • Tactful discipline
  • Work that keeps you interested

3) In your response tell me if you are a trainee, employee, or a supervisor. Also tell me the type of institution where you work (academic, industry, [whatever]). For those of us not in the US, please indicate that as well.

4) Send your responses to me by email. My email link is highlighted above. The deadline to reply is one week from now (Sunday, August 21, noon ET). All responses will remain anonymous.
Emil Chuck

Return to Science Careers Forum