Subscribe

Forum

Research Meteorology

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Research Meteorology

Postby Rich » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:27 pm

Hello all,

First post here. I've been trying to find work as a Research Meteorologist or some similar high tech / weather hybrid for some time and have found it extremely hard to break through to get interviews.

I've got 10+ years as a high-tech consultant, and have applied experience as a forecaster to go along with my BS in Computer Science and MS in Atmospheric Science.

There are two things I believe hold me up in the attempt to get past interview screeners: Salary requirements, and experience level. they are interconnected: In the high-tech world, I would be considered pretty senior, and of course high-tech pays pretty well. I'm trying to make the move to a more weather oriented career and totally understand and expect to be considered more junior and paid less in my new position and have no problem with that, but how to convey they on paper without is the question.

If anyone has any ideas, or better still and ins at companies that do weather modeling or research, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich

Return to Science Careers Forum