Subscribe

Forum

For t-t faculty position, how many application should be send?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:22 pm

How many application I should send if I want to apply for tenure track faculty position?
Richard

Postby Maureen » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:32 am

Send to every position that there is a potential fit with your interests in places you want to live or would be happy living. For my husband, who is applying this year, that has added up to about 70 aps. He has a cancer focus with an endocrine emphasis so there are a lot of potential fits this year. We are not geographically limited, but are facing a two-body problem so had to cast a wide net.

Your results will vary...
Maureen

Postby Bill L. & Naledi S. » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:10 pm

We agree with Maureen -- most people seem to apply for dozens of opportunities during the annual cycle. But with the current situation in the job market, we think applicants should not be so picky about location at the application stage. If you apply and get invited for an interview, visit the place with a truly open mind...if you still don't like it, fine. But don't avoid an application just because you think you might not like it in a place you've never been.

Best wishes --
Bill L. and Naledi S.
Bill L. & Naledi S.

Postby Jackie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:35 am

Apply everywhere available. You will not regret it. More offers is better than no offers.

Out,
Jackie
Jackie

Postby Emil Chuck » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:15 pm

If you want hard numbers, remember how many applications come in for each position, and how many finalists get chosen from that pool. From what I have seen, it is not uncommon to apply for up to 100 positions if the fits work right. You should prioritize so that you don't go completely crazy, and start early since you never know what additional information one place needs over another.
Emil Chuck

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 pm

Thank you so much for all responses. I had sent out 10 applications last year and two universities requested references but no interview. I am an Research Assocaite Prof and have Ko1 funding and have more than ten publications, including two first author paper in FASEB J and one co-first author paper in PNAS. I am now working in a top 25 research university but not big name's lab. I just want to know what is the problem with my application. Thank you for your input.
Richard

Postby Maureen » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:43 am

Richard,

If you are wonderng what the problem is with your application, show it to collegues who serve on search committees. Swallow your pride, take their feedback to heart and make the necessary changes.
Maureen

Postby Emil Chuck » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:50 am

Yep... 10 is too few. Maureen's right: you need to pass it along to some people who serve on search committees to see what the problem is. You should have a few colleagues who can help who are not at your current institution (if you are so concerned). If you also have a K-award, you really should ask your mentors to review your application as well.
Emil Chuck

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:38 am

With only your comments:

1. "I had sent out 10 applications last year and two universities requested references but no interview."

This is not nearly enough applications and it depends on where you are sending them. From 10 applications, I would have expected 1 interview if you were doing a good job of targeting.

2. "I am an Research Assocaite Prof"
a. depending on whose lab you are in an RAP oftens hurts more than it helps. The inference with an RAP and more so a RAssocP is that you have been looking for a job for sometime and there are no takers.

b. "have Ko1 funding." A K01 and RAssocP raise some serious issues regarding independence. K01 is a mentored post-doc award with an 8% modified indirect base. They had funding success rates of 35%. A K01 is often not portable, even if it were most institutions wouldn't want it (8% indirect vs 45-72% indirect on an R01). Bottom line, together wit the RAssocP, it makes you look like you are not independent investigator material but rather long-term post doc material. If you have been in post-doc/RAP about 7-8 years, this is another black mark in that arena.

3. "I have more than ten publications, including two first author paper in FASEB J and one co-first author paper in PNAS. "

I have written many times about faculty hiring being driven in only the most modest way by publication record.

4. "I am now working in a top 25 research university but not big name's lab."

Here is another problem. Big names = big jobs.

There are some issues but my advice would be to focus your applications on state schools that fall in the institutional rankings below 60.

Assuming your research fits:

Without a big name supervisor and top 10 institution, the elite research schools are out. The next tier (25-50)the jobs go to people with comparable publication lists, but also with big name supervisors. Next tier geenrally take comparable publication lists and funding (not K01) in hand. A K01 is not a selling point for a job applicant. It is good to have, great to have as a trainee. Read Science's the grant doctor on this issue because the person who wrote it was right on point.

I think you can save yourself time by focusing your applications on places where you are mostly likely to be successful.
Kelly
Advisor

Return to Science Careers Forum