Subscribe

Forum

Btewwn academia and finance careers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Btewwn academia and finance careers

Postby Ros » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:25 am

Dear all,
I apologize in advance for the long post.

I am in my 2nd year postdoc and considering leaving academia for investment. I re-read a great March 2005 thread on VC and banking careers and I dont' know if I have what it takes for this, so here is my situation.

I have both a DVM (never practiced, research only) and a PhD, and I work in the stem cell /cloning area. I have a very analytical approach to things, and for most standards I think to be good at what I do. However, I am growing more and more dissatisfied with bench work because I realized that I love to put things in perspective, find out where things (experiments, a political debate, a merger between companies... pretty much everything I stumble upon) are going and what they really mean, and I don't seem to have the patience to work out the little details of things. On top of that, I LOVE to communicate, to speak in public, and my worst days are those spent in silence in a room with other 5 postdocs each of us hammering at our own projects. I love going to meetings, listening to lectures, interacting with both scientists and people outside of academia, I love it when I am a good mentor, when I am effective and give good suggestions to the PhD students that I follow.
I have lately "taken advantage" of my husband (business-finance) and gone as guest to a couple of alumni events of his BS. It was great, I met lots of interesting people that seem to have a mindset that matches mine, and a career that puts it to work. I asked about their career choices and got the impression that I could be, with proper training an and experience of course, something like a business analyst for biotech/medical/pharma field. I am considering taking the CFA exam and although I just started reading some of my husband books, I find topics like financial statement analysis to be really interesting.
On the other hand, I am aware that my next career move will influence the next 10-15 years of working life (or more), and I want to be as sure as I can be before leaving academia, expecially now when it's really time to push for a tt position. I am in my early 30ies, speak fuently 2 languages and can converse in 2 other, I am willing to relocate pretty much everywhere in the world.

Do you think that I would stand a good chance in the banking/consulting business (with level I CFA done)? I don't come from any "pedigree" universities, just solid accomplishments (10 papers between graduate and postdoc), will this hurt my chances? Would my lack of experience in private companies be a problem? Can you think of any alternate careers that involve science, analysis and communication?

I really appreciate your thoughts,
Ros
Ros

Return to Science Careers Forum