Subscribe

Forum

Job search inputs please...

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Job search inputs please...

Postby Harry » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:11 am

I am hoping that some of you can share some of your job search strategies or advise for someone with 4 years of industry experience.

I have been working almost 4 years at a biotech startup in the bay area. It has been a good run. Now, I am ready to move on with my career.

Over the long Thanksgiving holidays, I have been looking at companies such as Amgen, Genentech, Roche Bioscience's job listings on their websites, I see mostly are very specific requirements such number of years of experience in cancer biology, RNAi, diabetes, and inflamatory diseases, etc... Although there is a high degree of specialization, but there is a common set of tools in the toolbox that everyone uses, such as mammalian cell culture, ELISA assays, and DNA cloning, etc...

The question is: how do I apply for these positions that my extensive experience do not match their exact requirements? Is it evern worth applying for these positions because my resume may not even pass the HR screeners and essentially I would be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Harry

Return to Science Careers Forum