A couple of interesting educational policy questions

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

A couple of interesting educational policy questions

Postby Todd Graham » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:47 pm

I have a couple of questions kicking around in my head from what I've read on this board this week and from other networking opportunities:

1) While there is a glass ceiling for BS/MS level positions, the ceiling seems a lot lower for BS types than MS. Do you think there should be more of an effort to incorporate what's learned on a Master's level into a Bachelor's degrees, or at least offer more combined BS/MS programs? I can think of a couple of reasons, both from a purely educational and an internal university politics perspective, why it doesn't happen, but I'm curious to your ideas

2) Not everyone can take the time to commit to a traditional PhD program. It might be financial or it might be personal. What do you think should be done? Should there be more financial support available to those in these kind of spots? More realisitically, do you think part-time PhD programs akin to what I know is available at Rutgers and a few other places be more widely available?
Todd Graham

Return to Science Careers Forum