Subscribe

Forum

Modest Success Story

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

contact

Postby Emil Chuck » Sat May 06, 2006 7:30 am

Good luck and congratulations to Robert2. Those positions are very difficult to get unless you really know someone who wants your expertise. I know I helped my lawyer brother pro bono on some things when I was in graduate school (admittedly some of the things he asked I felt were really silly questions from my end).

On the networking bit... the other thing to remember is that networking takes time. It is also something that eventually develops naturally for yourself. You have to network in science or else you will never find a good collaborating lab who may provide more insight on your own work. I don't think that scientists cannot network without feeling like they're dirty; rather in my opinion, scientists have difficulty networking with people who are not scientists if they are so used to interacting with their lab and project. What would you say to your institution president or the mayor of your city if you were introduced and left alone for 1 minute? To a lot of people, that's a real challenge, but networkers can see this as a great opportunity.

Your skills in networking take time just as your skills in interviewing. Observe and practice.
Emil Chuck

contact

Postby Robert2 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:58 am

In response to Liz I, I would start with people in positions that you are interested in actually persuing. Scientific advisiors/patent agents will be able to tell you about their jobs and their prospects within their firms for growth. Try to find people with something similar in their background to you...same institution, scientific area of expertise, etc. Really there is nobody that is "off limits" to contact. In my experience with this, there are very few of these positions that are advertised. So, informational interviews are basically the way to "apply" for any positions that might be available. Meet with as many people as possible.
Robert2

Outstanding success story

Postby Kelly » Sun May 07, 2006 7:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats!!!

Working the phone and email to make contacts is a great way to go especially if it leads to person to person contact. People need to know you, to out a face to your application for anything. Networking is not the same as "professional shoe cleaning." It is about getting yourself and your name in the minds of people who can do things to help you.

At scientific meetings, hit those poster sessions even the ones outside your area. You never know who you might need to know. And it works both ways. I consider myself a pretty good professional "match maker." I keep a mental rolling list of people and their needs. Last week I think I hooked up a vet at one institution looking for a new job with another institution I knew would be looking. The person thinks I'm great and the instituion is pretty happy they found someone so well-suited so quickly.
Kelly
Advisor

contact

Postby Liz I. » Sat May 13, 2006 5:59 am

Robert2,
Thanks for your advises and information.
What is important to mention about your quality that is particularly fit to their company ( technical and no technical skills and expertise)
When and where is good for a informational interviews? Did you visit the firm directly and talk to people there or you first contact them by e-mail or phone then talk wiht them out side of the firm?
Thanks

Liz
Liz I.

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum