Subscribe

Forum

Master's or PhD?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Master's or PhD?

Postby KS » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:27 am

I think I am in about the same predicament as others on this forum - confused.
Currently, I am in a PhD program and will be getting my Master's in December, after 3 years of work. However, I am at the crossroads where I am thinking about stopping with the Master's. I have struggled through grad school to this point and have not felt very productive. I am thinking that if I find the right job that possibly I may feel more productive. This brings me to the problem of finding the job best suited for me. I have never had a dream to do something in particular - except to be involved in science in general. I have always tried to leave as many doors open as possible so that I would easily be able adapt to a good job that came my way. Now I am in a difficult place because I don't want to be "over-qualified" or "under-qualified" for a job that intrests me. What types of jobs require the PhD versus the Master's? If the right job entails getting the PhD, maybe I can stick it out for a couple of more years. Is it common for people to get the MS and then go back later (after family, and financial stability) for the PhD?

My BS is in Biochemistry, the MS will be Neuroscience. I have always had interest in these 2 areas as well as nutrition. I found that I dont care much for benchwork as I use to. I enjoy the details of science and quest to cure disease, but not necessarily the constant repetition associated with benchwork assays. I am interested in finding out more about clinical research or science/health education type work. I looked at the explorehealthcareers.org website and found several headings under public health, especially behavioral science/health education, to sound like something I may enjoy. Will the education I have be applicable to this type of job? Are there other non-benchwork type jobs that could possibly fulfill my interests?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
KS

Return to Science Careers Forum