Subscribe

Forum

gradschool/job/-sorting my goal

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

gradschool/job/-sorting my goal

Postby Kera T. » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:35 pm

I have few questions about PhD study and employment opportunity afterward. I am debating between starting PhD now or a yr later or just doing MS. Bit background about me, I obtained a BS in chemistry n minor in math may ’06. I did undergrad research for 3 semesters in physical chem., and worked as lab tech for last 2 years in cancer bio lab on campus. I have been working as QC chemist in a startup R&D polycarbonate company since graduation. Here I get to interact with industrial PhD on daily bases because it’s a small place. Thus far I have been exposed to physical chemistry, biological and industrial/material science research.

The reason I didn’t go straight to gradschool was because, I didn’t know what I wanted after gradschool or out of it. My jobserach was a experience of its own and work life is different. I am glad I am experiencing this. Although I don’t want to be in QC, and was never satisfied with only a BS, I think I would ultimately like to be a development chemist in an industry. During my 3month performance review, me n my boss did career survey and he suggested I would be happy in development end.

I have 2 options opened up to me right now:
1) I can get a job at a bigger company, where advancement is easy. study part time for MS. Hopefully it won’t take long to reach a more research position. Or
2) Go straight for PhD and when I am done, I will restart job search and hopefully finding a new job won’t be hard.

My questions are: if I can get an industrial research chemist position with MS, should I try that out first? If I am not satisfied, I can always go back and get more educations? However, I am 21 yr old now; I have no family responsibility or anything. Dealing with long hours of study will be easiest right now then later on. On the other hand, I know finding job at PhD level is competitive. Is my one year industry experience sufficient or should I get more? Will one year experience make industry think, I ran back to school as soon as my opportunity came. With 2+ year experience, I am showing that I passed-on my first opportunity to run back to school, that I wanted to stay in the industry but went back for good reason. At the same time, I don’t want to spend too many years working at BS level job, that it jeopardizes my grad application. How long is good enough time to make myself a good candidate for industrial job right after PhD?

your advice to help me sort things out will be appreciated
Kera T.

Return to Science Careers Forum