Subscribe

Forum

Med school after PhD

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Med school after PhD

Postby D.X. » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Ok ok, so I was over the top, of course the patient is among my up most concerns. But back in the day, I was in science for science and I did not necessarily care about patient outcomes..today I do, and we all should be very aware of patient outcomes and the clinical relavance of our research.

That being said, my "screw the patients" was purely for the context of that post as you mentioned.

I think the point I want to stress is that the PhD is a powerful degree and I have argued that scientist really really need to self themselves. There is the saying that a PhD is not enough..I think there was a book written. That is wrong.a PhD is enough and I think its a mistake to think that one has to go to MD school or pursue and MBA to "add" value to the "package".

Anyway, I think the poster should consider that going after that path can be a long financially challenging path. I think the poster should really evaulate if they really really really want to be a physician and ask if they understand what being a physcian really means.

In my job, I've learned what being MD means, what the job entails on an everyday basis..and man o man.. I would never want the job!!!

My posting was a rough way for me to give a reality check to K.Rao. And that reality check is that K.Rao can do AWESOME things with that PhD and does not need to go to medical school. And its not just for K.Rao its for EVERYONE. Science education is powerful..just need to sell it!!!

Now...if K.Rao comes back and says..yes yes yes..i really wanna go to med school..and help patients and heal people...then GOOD!!! and that is admirable that K.Rao is willing to take all the challenges associated with that path!
D.X.

Why the MD??

Postby Hugh » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Thanks D.X. for explicitedly stating the context.
I understood your original message, but stand alone, it was not accurate, in my opinion.
I did not read K. Rao's posts to address his particular issues, but others seem to have offered him/her some sound guidance.
Hugh

Why the MD??

Postby Raju » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Apparently many MDs get positions in Pharma industry. Does industry discriminate MDs if they have degree from Caribbean schools or MD credential and passing of USMLE make them equivalent to US school graduates? Of course Caribbean school graduates can never be equal to Harvard and Johns Hopkins but are they considered equal to lesser ranked US schools? I see that they only do basic science courses in Caribbean and do clinical rotations in US for 2 years.
One of my friends was unable to get high-impact paper in postdoc. High-profile journals made him do many additional unnecessary experiments and he got partially scooped. He is in his 5th year of postdoc and close to becoming perma-doc. He tried to get industry jobs but was not successful. He sees his only way out to a stable career is completing MD cheaply in Caribbean but is concerned with perception of such degrees in US. He is 35 now and thinks that 7-8 years of medical school and residency in non-competitive fields like internal medicine or family medicine, (which is where most of carribean school people seem to go), may set him up for 20-25 years of high-paying career in industry or hospitals, compared to soft money dependent uncertainties of permadoc.
Raju

Why the MD??

Postby SWR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:52 am

The "why" is extremely important.

I'm a postdoc, but I've had significant exposures to MDs (my significant other and best friends are residents, sister is in med school, etc.). A few thoughts:

1. I do not think American doctors in the future (e.g., 10 y) will be making nearly as much money on relative terms as they do today. See, for example, some of the columns in the New York Times by Uwe Reinhardt and recent research comparing physicians' reimbursements for different procedures across countries and his discussion of supply and demand. There is a shortage of doctors trained in the U.S. but not a shortage of superbly qualified doctors globally. Many are coming to the U.S. to practice, and they don't have the debt. Meanwhile, I know two (American) people who are each >$200,000 in debt from medical school. There are plans like income-based repayment for dealing with this (e.g., in residency), but remember that your spouse's income would be factored in too. In short, I'm not sure medicine is going to remain as lush a lifestyle.

2. The culture is completely different. Make sure you really know what you're getting into. Socially, med school (at a top 10) appeared similar to me to high school. The hospital environment with all its politics sounds like the last bastion of the toxic work environment. Intellectually... you're going to be memorizing Powerpoint slides, not analyzing primary literature and generating your own data. That said, you'll obviously get clinical experiences that have no parallel.
SWR

Why the MD??

Postby SWR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 am

p.s. Go ask this question at the Student Doctor Network, if you haven't already.
SWR

Re: Med school after PhD

Postby DSHJ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:36 am

Hi K. Rao. Can I have your contact. I am also researching on med school after phd. I would like to discuss with you once. Thanks.
DSHJ

Re: Med school after PhD

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm

DSHJ wrote:Hi K. Rao. Can I have your contact. I am also researching on med school after phd. I would like to discuss with you once. Thanks.

DSHJ - You can look him or her up in the site's User Control Panel and send them an email, which will be forwarded to whatever anonymous email they gave us when they registered.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum