Subscribe

Forum

resume/CV word game: levels of qualification

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

resume/CV word game: levels of qualification

Postby J.M. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:11 am

I'm getting ready to assemble my CV. I've always been a little confused about which words best convey the degree to which I'm qualified in a certain area or skill.

An example: I mostly use 3 programming languages (R, Perl, and Fortran 90).

I would say that I'm *adept* in R, *experienced* in Perl and *familiar* with Fortran 90.

To me, "adept" means that I have used the language on a day-to-day basis for several years. I can code quickly and accurately and I occasionally refer to documentation for help. "Experienced" to me means that I have used the language intermittently over several years and can code well, but I need to have a manual next to me at all times. "Familiar" means that I have used it in class and have done several projects in it, but wouldn't be able to freely code much of anything without a manual next to me or example code. Anything less than "familiar" probably doesn't belong on a resume or CV.

The same words and their meanings could be extended to almost any skill or area of expertise. What words do you use and what level of qualification do you associate with them?
J.M.

Return to Science Careers Forum