Subscribe

Forum

PhD or MSc?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

PhD or MSc?

Postby KIS » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:56 pm

I have an Upper Second Class (Hons) degree in Biomedical science. I am now looking at a Masters or PhD.
I have always loved science, mostly biology and decided I wanted to help find the cure for cancer at a very young age! My degree is the first step on the way. However, all I know is that I am interested in molecular biology, biology of disease (especially cancer), cells and tissue and research methods and skills.
I gained work experience whilst at university in a molecular biology (hospital but research orientated) laboratory for three months and exceeded all targets set of me. I even ended up with a publication and a job offer after university. So I know this is the career for me. As I am highly driven.
I am happy to work under someone as part of a research team as I like to be handed work to be done.
I am not sure whether to do a Masters or PhD. I think as I have an Upper Sceond Class degree I am good enough to undertake a PhD however I have no idea what subject area I am interested in; as they are extremely specific. It is also a massive committment. As with a Masters they are much broader and shorter, however I also want alot more hands on experience as my first degree gave me very little, so I would need to pick a Masters with emphasis on laboratory work . However now I am being told Masters are worthless,as they are much the same as a first degree?
I am also worried about wasting money as I am thinking about taking a loan out to fund my postgraduate studies, which may not get me any further in the future anyway.
I absolutely love science and can not wait to get on and learn so much more. I also miss not researching in a laboratory, as I did not take up the job in the laboratory after I graduated (instead I chose to travel). I would love to learn an extensive amount of techniques and also how to analyse the data I have obtained.
I do not want to give up an exciting career but what should my next step be?

The two Masters I am considering are:

Cancer cell and molecular biology
Molecular pathology and toxicology
Cellular and Molecular Medicine

Would any of these suit my needs?

I appreciate any comments from intellects who may understand where these Masters courses will take me compared to where I would like to be in the future. Or whether I should go for a PhD in a subject close to cancer research and molecular biology.

Thank you for your time.
KIS

Return to Science Careers Forum