Subscribe

Forum

government internships

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

government internships

Postby Asha » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm

I am a recent MS chemistry graduate who has been working parttime doing energy research for the state, and the other parttime as a community college instructor. I have enjoyed the freedom, but recognize that I should at some point commit myself to a career choice in order to not be viewed as \"flaky\" by potential employers. (I enjoy teaching on the side, but am not interested in it full time).

I have been verbally offered two \"post-grad\" internships with small national laboratories, but these internships are operated through another organization that requires 2-3 months of paperwork processing on the part of the employers. I know that until I have something in writing, these \"verbal\" offers are as good as nothing, but I also feel as though I am leading these organizations on, since I can only accept one offer.

Does anyone have any advice?
Also, in choosing between the two potential decisions, I would like to discuss with other individuals their experiences with different national labs and federal organizations, but am not sure whether or not I can specifically state their names.
Asha

Return to Science Careers Forum